Agnostic.com

2 1

Have you ever had a micro-dream?

Reading a book just a while ago, I closed my eyes for a moment, and I swear I experienced what I can only call a "micro-dream". It lasted only a second or two, and it started almost as soon as my eyes closed. The whole experience lasted no more than 3 or 4 seconds altogether.

I was with a woman (who I feel like I knew, but that's how dreams are, isn't it?) and we were running in the woods, either from something or chasing something- or someone. I'm reading Jerry Coyle's Why Evolution Is True, so maybe animals were involved.

The real question is, has anyone else experienced this? A dream that's like a daydream, except that it has the qualities of a sleeping dream, it starts unexpectedly, it lasts only a moment, and it comes when one isn't actually sleeping. Has anyone even heard of this? Or did I just stroke out there for a second?

Paul4747 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my case, and probably many others', I usually hear something just as I'm falling asleep. I frequently hear someone speak my name, a knock on the door, or a loud thump like something heavy falling and always just as I'm about to fall asleep. Other than these "phantom" sounds, I'm conscious and aware. I've never imagined I was anywhere other than where I actually was.

There are only a couple of times when I've seen things that weren't there, but as with the auditory elements of these dreams, what I "saw" was in my actual location and everything else was really there.

The strangest situation was when I woke up, mostly, to three shadowy figures standing over my bed. I couldn't move or speak. Strangely, I was aware of the hallucinatory nature of my visitors and felt only a calm curiosity. I surveyed my room to see if it was part of my dream, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Everything I could see was positioned precisely the same way after I forced myself to full wakefulness.

I've had one or two similar occurrences, and I get weird looks when people ask my about belief/ experiences involving ghosts, and I tell them, "Yes, I've seen them, and no, I don't believe in them."

JimG Level 8 Jan 12, 2020

My comment below is the explanation. 👍

Or a hypnagogic state? [en.m.wikipedia.org]

A lot of folks experience them but never know what they are. And they are normal.

I've had those, quite often when I was a teenager. Also known as "sleep paralysis" if I'm not mistaken, and it's a very apt nickname for the phenomenon. (I just clicked your link, and I was not mistaken 😀)

I imagined flashes of light outside my window which I would have sworn were UFOs, hovering forms in my bedroom, and more. I also had episodes in my 30s when I dreamed very convincingly that there were snakes there with me, and woke to find myself strangling the blankets. Times of very high stress and/or sleep deprivation seemed to be the trigger (the snake thing happened during grad school, with papers or exam stress).

@Paul4747 Yes they can present as sleep paralysis.
They aren't always nerve wracking in nature though so could be the explanation for a waking dream if the brain went into that state than snapped awake again.
My Mum once screamed the neighborhood awake with a snake dream. I don't recommend them! 😂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:448261
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.