Agnostic.com

5 9

Very Good Cornbread

Nonfat yogurt replaces the fat in this light and tender cornbread. Sugar was reduced. Now the bread has a hearty corn flavor and a springy texture that holds up when it's dunked into soups and bean stews.

My Spanish-speaking neighbors love it so much, I translated the recipe into Spanish.

Very Good Cornbread

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup yellow cornmeal, medium grind. Bob's Red Mill medium grind cornmeal is best.

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup plain, nonfat yogurt. I use Greek yogurt for extra protein.
2 large eggs
Less than 1/4 cup oil

Pam baking spray

1. Place oven rack in middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Spray an 8 to 9-inch square or round pan with baking spray. Set aside.

3. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt. Blend well. Set aside.

4. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add yogurt and oil, and whisk until combined.

5. Gently mix wet and dry ingredients, just until combined.

6. Spread batter in greased pan. Hustle it into the oven. Cornbread begins rising the minute you combine wet and dry ingredients.

7. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes until cornbread springs back when gently pressed in center. Cut into squares or wedges. Serve warm.

Per serving- 163 calories; 5.6 grams protein; 2 grams fat (0.5 gram saturated fat); 30 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 100 mg sodium; 48 mg cholesterol

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am sure it was delicious but too high carb for my diet... I use Stevie sweetener and almond and Flax flour - works for me and super healthy too.

How about the chili? HOW ABOUT THE CHILI?? What kind of world is this?

What about whole wheat flour? And Stevia rather than sugar? And how about olive oil - smells odd when I started using it with pizza dough, but tasted fine.

@Beowulfsfriend

Have at it. Feel free to tinker with the recipe.

I suggest you try the recipe first, before changing it.

Love the nutritional part of making it,,yummy

Sounds delicious 😋

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 14, 2020

@bobwjr

I gave two pieces to my friend Billie today. She texted:

"The cornbread is delicious! Perfect with soup. Thank you!"

@LiterateHiker wish I could try but gleutin allergy prevents

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:449304
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.