Agnostic.com

9 0

In your opinion, what's a Robot?

I watched a talk on robotics the other night and the discussion turned to what we consider to be a robot.

The speaker was suggesting that, while the field is growing and evolving, robots are already here and we use them every day; specifically things like the Roomba and the Landroid (an outdoor Roomba for cutting grass), and the new self cleaning litter boxes. The speaker went on to mention other things like dishwashers and cars (not self-driving).

While I can see the Roomba, litterbox and maybe even the dishwasher, I questions the inclusion of cars (not self-driving). I would think that a car could possibly be considers an exoskeleton. (Is an exoskeleton a robot?)

There doesn't seem to be a universal definition for Robot...

Where does everyone draw the line(s)? {robot, cyborg, androide, drone, gadget, automated machine...}

Thoughts?

scurry 9 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A robot is purely mechanical and follows programming, possibly but not necessarily learning and adapting. So an automatic washing machine is (in theory) a robot, whereas a backhoe isn't (its movements are directly coordinated by a human operator, not pre-programmed.)

A cyborg is part robot part human (I'm not sure if it applies to other species.) In science fiction, it's typically a robot body controlled by a human brain. In real life, someone with an electromechanical artificial limb could be considered one.

An android is a robot built to mimic basic human form (head, torso, arms, legs, with various degrees of convincingness) but is still completely electromechanical.

A machine which performs tasks in accordance with its programming, including machines that are equipped with algorithms and other programming which facilitates self learning. At some point in the future, machines that we call robots will, in all probability, become ‘self aware.’ The term ‘robot’ will, at this point, no longer apply.

I read somewhere , that the term robot is German in origin , and can refer to something as simple as a moving belt , for transferring products . As you've already pointed out , while the term robot can include a lot of variety , the other terms designate which kind of robot it is .

My definition is a machine capable of self-propelled motion, however small that motion is.

Ok - Gottcha. So (your version of) a robot has to be able to move and do it by itself.
Hmmm. I can see that.
So, is my clock a type of robot?
Admittedly, it's not walking around the room, buy the hands are definitely moving.
Maybe it is...

I would define a "robot" as an machine capable of autonomous operation in the physical world. Thus computers, which operate in cyberspace, would not qualify in and of themselves as robots. But self driving vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers would. I would also suggest that a "robot" can be wired to the internet and thus not all of the artificial intelligence to perform autonomous operations needs to be onboard.

I would not classify a vehical driven externally by a human as a robot though some would.

Ok, I think I see what you're saying.
Must have computer involvement of some sort.
Must be able to affect the physical world.

Drone - not a robot?
Self driving car - robot?

What about the computer on 2001: Space Odyssey... HAL 9000?
Robot or not? (yes - fictional either way.)

@scurry

So by my definition a Drone is certainly not because it is driven by a human pilot remotely. A self driving car would certainly be. Hal of 2001 would be - his physical body was the Discovery spacecraft so he was more than "just a computer."

Robot to me means physical that exists under the direction of an AI (however primitive that AI actual is.)

It is all rather academic because most of the interesting developments in AI will now take place inside computers that only have indirect interfaces to the non-cyber world. It is fascinating but "robots" are only an extension of the physical part of an AI which, in real fact, may soon be more intelligent than a human being.

Robots have been around for decades. I can even consider those big farm rigs operated by one man a type of robot. Car manufacturers employed robot arms to assist workers for decades.

Although I didn't see that documentary you mentioned, I consider these things as robots:
1: extension of self that you can control either directly or indirectly with a computer
2: a machine with AI sufficient to perform one task. Eg an industrial robot arm programmed to perform repetitive task in a production line
3: a machine with AI sufficient enough to not only perform pre-programmed actions like 2, but learn and adjust themselves. Eg self driving cars
4: a machine with AI sufficient to not only perform and learn a preset task like 3 and 2, but also learn from and perform tasks it wasn't pre-programmed to do. Eg Skynet

Hey @SamKerry
If you're interested, this is the one that got me thinking:
[ted.com]

But yes, you're very right, decades indeed.

Does it depend solely on being (at least partially) controlled by a computer?
Is size a factor? The large farm equipment operated by one man...
Would you consider an exoskeleton a robot? (Think of that Hugh Jackman movie: Real Steal)

And in either case, why not a car, what makes that different? Cars have computers in them to help us controle and drive.

I'm not disagreeing or trying to stir the pot, I don't have any answers either. Just looking for other's thoughts and opinions. 🙂

@scurry thanks for the link! Will check it out. Yeah, your question about whether a car is a robot popped into my head while I was commenting. As per my definitions, I would consider a car a robot. But that doesn't sound correct.

As for exoskeletons, not sure. I might have to revise my definitions. I thought of my first defintion because of "robotic arms".

Will check out that TED talk.

@SamKerry I'm in the same (non robotic) boat as you.

My definitions seem to make cars robots, but I don't want them to be classified as such. It doesn't feel right. And I think it's because by my current 'internal' definition (or expectations) of robot an original automobile would not qualify. But it has evolved to a point that it might.

Ya, I love me a TEDTalk, I won't spoil it for you, but I will say she mentions "thermostats".

Cheers

Crap I was gonna say anything that imitates a real human but that's AI not a robot . A machine that learns ?? Or a machine that dies a repetitive job ?

Ya, it's not a clear-cut line, and I suspect it can be interpreted in many ways.
Androids and Cyborgs are generally human like.
But that robot that cleans the rug, not so much.
A machine that learns... perhaps. Or maybe one that can follow predetermined rules to work around any problems it faces?
But I hope it doesn't "die" when doing a repetitive job. 😉

Robots are widespread in industrial applications.

JimG Level 8 Mar 28, 2018

agreed - but that's not a definition, more of a observation.
but sure.

I havent thought about a definition of a robot, but I found a group concerned with robotic rights by accident in a recent search. It was related to being a sex worker

As in robot sex workers and what rights do they have?
Wow - that sounds like a movie or show I've seen. Westworld maybe?
If you have a link, i would (hesitantly) like to see it. (though probably not at work).

@scurry I will see if I can find it again. It came up in the line of those super lifelike sex dolls people get

@scurry google Robotic RIghts.THere are a lot of generic news articles, not just sex worker related

@btroje Cool - Will do. (though, again, perhaps not at work. LOL)
Cheers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.