Agnostic.com

7 9

When did a kind stranger touch your heart?

I hit a wall. Could not turn the vest I'm sewing right-side-out. It turned into a knot each time I tried. Called Butterick customer service who parroted unclear pattern instructions.

Near tears, I took the vest to "Pins and Needles," a local, expensive tailoring company. Kami, a young seamstress, tried for 30 minutes with no success.

"I'm not as close to it as you are," Kami said. "Let me take it home for the weekend. I'll figure out another way. Is it okay if I rip out seams?"

"Thank you!" I replied. "Rip away. You are calmer than me. I'm in a snit about this stupid vest." Over the weekend, I decided if Kami can't turn it right-side-out, I will make jewelry pouches for friends with the fabric.

She did it! No charge. I gave Kami $20 for her trouble.

Seams were understandably ripped open. Need to sew the vest back together. First I will write a thank-you card to Kami.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The last stranger to touch my heart?. The heart surgeon...........

On September 8 of 2018 it was my last day of summer in New York and I was headed back to Jamaica. The person who was suppose to drop me off at the airport was late to pick me up so I ended up missing my flight; it was a very long drive to airport. I had to book another flight for the same time the following day so I needed somewhere close by to stay. The person had already left the airport and where I was staying was very far from JFK so I had to try to book a room close by. Bear in mind this was around 1a.m., with that and everything else I was very frantic.

Anyways, I found an affordable room on bookings.com and the information said rooms were available and I could check-in at anytime. I had made sure to look for those details because I knew most hotels/motels only do check-in during daytime. So, I booked the room and proceeded to get a Lyft taxi to the motel. When I got there the receptionist told me that they were fully occupied and that they actually would not have any rooms available until 12 pm. I had no idea what to do.

The Lyft driver was the kindest person I had ever met in my entire life. When he picked me up at the airport he was very polite and friendly. I had ended up telling what happened etc so he stayed outside and waited for me to see if everything was ok with the room. When I came back out to the parking lot and told him what happened he asked me if I had anywhere else I could go. I had friends who were in New York nearby but I could not get to them so actually offered to let me stay with in his car until I got through to my friends. I was a bit skeptical about staying with a complete stranger despite that fact that he was like super nice. I had no other option so I took up his offer and stayed in his car.

When it got to around 5am he took me to get breakfast and refused to let me pay for it. After eating I tried reaching out to my friend again and finally got through and they sent me the location pin to where they were. He drove me to the location and I tried tipping him but he would not accept. The Lyft bill was just around $50 so that was way less than what I would have had to pay if I had gotten to stay at the hotel.

He is an amazing person. While I was with him he saw that I was frantic and stuff so he spoke about things to calm me down. I learned he was from Pakistan and we bonded over our love for cricket. He was actually a college student and was Lyft driver at night to pay for it.

There are really kind people in this world.

@HumanistA

Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing.

I was playing Santa at a family party, the mother brought over her little boy (3?) who had something for me. He gave me a little red box with three pennies, to help to buy the presents.

Last time I was caught out in the rain while hiking. A farmer stopped his truck without a request from me, and gave me a lift despite the fact that I must have soaked the inside of his truck. Then he took me out of his way to drop me outside a cafe where I could get a warm drink.

I am still waiting and hoping and pry...g. Well maybe not the last one for a stranger to touch my heart or any other part of my body. Did I say that, any other part of my body. I should wash my mouth out with soap and my brain too,

It was a Nun! When I was young I was put under for a procedure. When I woke up I was disoriented and very scared while being rolled down a hallway to my room. I looked up and saw a Nun, it was blurry and I could not associate it as a human being. She simply reached out and held my hand. Then I relaxed and slipped into sleep.

A stranger. Touched my heart? I think the members here would qualify as strangers, and some of them have taken time to read what I wrote and responded with kindness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:451949
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.