Agnostic.com

6 6

QUESTION Mind Control: How to Win the War in Your Head

There have been some questions here on how to deprogram from religious guilt. In lieu of writing a lengthy comment in those posts, I thought I'd make this post. Shortly after deconversion, I became acutely aware of inner dialogs going on in my brain. They were negative looping messages (reinforced neural circuity) resulting from nearly 40 years of religious indoctrination -- that there was no good thing in me, that my righteousness was as filthy rags, and that my heart was deceitful, as the biblical scriptures promulgate.

“The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?” (Jeremiah 17:9)

“As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:” (Romans 3:10)

"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;" (Isaiah 64:6)

Jonathan Edward was an eighteenth-century evangelical preacher. He oversaw some of the first revivals in 1733–35 at his church in Northampton, Massachusetts. He found that by inducing guilt, people attending his revival meetings would break down and completely submit. These techniques are still used today in conservative Christian churches, revivals, and rallies.

Authoritarian religions, like the Abrahamic faiths, use nearly identical mind control techniques that Robert Jay Lifton wrote about in his 1961 book “Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of “Brainwashing in China”.

Totalism, is a term for the characteristics of ideological movements and organizations that desire total control over human behavior and thought. Lifton asserts that totalism exhibits a common pattern and can cause predictable types of psychological damage in individuals and societies.

All of the 10 steps to totalism described in his book can be found in scripture (indoctrination), including:

1. Assault on identity: “A systematic attack on a target’s sense of self.”

2. Guilt: “You are bad. While the identity crisis is setting in, the agent is simultaneously creating an overwhelming sense of guilt in the target.”

I didn't realize how much I had internalized this negative programming until I started becoming an observer of my thoughts. I was stunned. So, I started talking back to the "voices". I countered them with positive affirmation, and this was one of the successful methodologies I used to deprogram myself.

In this unique 10 minute video, blending science and inspiration, Owen Fitzpatrick, a psychologist and performance poet, states that in this age of propaganda, we find ourselves influenced not only by the voices in traditional and social media but by our own inner voices which were influenced by our environment (i.e., culture, family, religion).

He rhythmically shares his own heartfelt journey through depression and low self-esteem and describes the key to taking back control of our minds and winning the war in our heads. I can speak from personal experience that this technique works.

VictoriaNotes 9 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have not watched the video yet (but will) but want to add some comments/observations. I was 47 when finally (I was forced to make a moral decision) took another path. My question to myself was always why did it take so long? Out of 7 kids, all raised Catholic, only 1 is religious and the rest non-theists (we were not sure about 1 brother but all the brothers got together this summer and he admitted he was atheist -his wife is religious so he kept a low profile). I note one missing influence - experience. What finally was your tipping point and from my interpretation of the message, are there still some guilt feelings.

@VictoriaNotes This is the first reply to a reply and hope it works (it is easy to get confused until one actually does something)
I have discovered that communication is fraught with pitfalls (especially between men and women) and people all interpret messages differently. It is an ongoing process even among partners. A former partner and I went to a counselor about communication issues. He admitted that even he, as a couples counselor, had communication issues with wife. I had to go back over your message and pay attention to see you were right.

First, Victoria, thank you for sharing this. Your post "hit the nail on the head." Once we leave the source of reinforcement of our superego (Freud), then we have to "sit it down" and have an internal conversation strengthening our ego/id (Freud) and quieting those taunts. I was raised Roman Catholic, even attended seminary in Freshman year of High School. The aspect that got me realizing I needed to leave was the boredom. I, finally, reached the point that the ceremonies didn't mean anything to me; they weren't comforting. This was in my early twenties. If I had understood "excommunication" better, I could have left in my early teens. At a rather young age, I KNEW I was going to do everything within my purview to NOT have children (it is a tenant of the Catholic Church that you, at least, ALLOW for the possibility of children). I think the influence of the two people who parented me has more to do with my struggle for self-worth than the religion; not all Catholics have the same view of punishment/discipline, as well as the right of children to be autonomous or exercise that "sense of self" as my parents. And finally, I would change the word "guilt" in your post to "shame". Thank you, once again, for your thought provoking post.

A lot of people don't realize the manipulation happening. But then they don't in politics either. Its essentially education of psychology to find the way to detect and ward these tricks.

argo Level 4 Nov 22, 2017

Im totally amazed about the intelligence of some of our members. I so much appreciate your posts and comments. It gives good thought to read, understand, and learn.

It was exactly this religious negativism that started my journey away from religion when I was in my early teens. I did not like -- no, I resented -- being made to feel myself a sinner just for having normal thoughts and feelings, and basically said to myself, "I'm better than that!" The journey to independence started with that.

Very interesting. I've been on this journey of taking control of my own mind for years. Reared in super strict fundamentalist Christianity by a narcissistic sociopath mother. It's been...challenging.

I have heard of RTS. Thanks for the info and link.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4531
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.