Agnostic.com

59 7

How old is too old?

My sister and I were lamenting that our parents are so fanatically religious. We both agreed that some bad ideas are so deeply ingrained that they can be eradicated only through the person's eventual death.

Is there any hope for them? How old is too old to change one's mind?

How old were you when you saw through all the smoke and mirrors?

• 45 votes
  • 49 votes
  • 43 votes
  • 16 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 10 votes
dayII 6 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (51 - 59)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1-12. In grade three my father was home at lunch on a school day. My teacher Mrs. Smith asked everyone what religion they were. We had Jews and Christians. This was 1963. Dad told me to tell Mrs. Smith that "I'm not superstitious" which I did and got in trouble for it. Dad had a laugh till Mother got him. It wasn't funny for me then. I was in trouble at school. My father took care of it though.

Tragedy, calamity and disaster are generally an impetus for change but they can also cause one to more strongly cling to that which is familiar.

Like most I'd agree that there's no age too old to change. But bringing about that change gets difficult by age. My personal observation has been that people aren't as receptive or curious as age progresses. Something that wasn't questioned and accepted at face value in younger ages won't be debated again unless there's strong external evidence or a push to rethink. It is fairly easy to get used to a way of life over the years thus creating a sense of resistance / conflict when presented with the idea of mending one's ways.

never really fell for the myths and legends.

Don't matter the age, bullocks is bullocks.

There is no too old to come to reason. It is more difficult to challenge ones beliefs as we get older.

Age is irrelevant...too old is in the mind of each person as to his or her own ability.

I never really gave it much thought until college. Then we studied a little bit about Religion. That's when I noticed that they were all remarkable similar. That's when the lightning went on for me: they're all made up stories passed around

20-30s is the age of real wisdom. If it does t happen here, it's very unlikely to happen.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:453400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.