Agnostic.com

6 13

Today's snowshoe adventure: new snow and avalanche danger.

Last night it rained in Wenatchee, WA and snowed at higher elevations. This morning, Karen and I headed up toward Mission Ridge Ski Area in dense fog. As we gained elevation, the sun began burning through the fog. Climbing ridges on snowshoes, we got above the fog by noon: blue skies. Hooray!

Karen and I went five miles total with 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Powder snow. Snowshoeing is harder than hiking. Each time I lifted up a foot to step, the snowshoe was heavy with snow.

Avalanche Danger

In several areas, above us was a steep, treeless, snowy hillside that could easily slide. Karen tested the snow and found a hard layer four inches below the surface. We hurried through it.

Mike, a backcountry skier with a dog, joined us for about a mile. We enjoyed talking with him. "Go ahead of us so you can break trail for us," Karen said. He did.

"We're the lucky people," Mike said, taking in the spectacular view. He was right. No one else was on the trail. There's something special about getting away from crowds.

Scary, steep drop-off

As you gain elevation, the trail gets extremely narrow with a steep drop-off on one side. Huge exposure. Walking along the drop-off was easier with snow piled up on both sides of the trail. I slowed down because I knew the drop-off was there.

A wonderful day.

Photos:

1. Small evergreen with a mantle of snow.

2. Snowy cliffs.

3. Larch tree with snow on every branch. You can see how steep it was.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Larch trees in Manitoba are called tamarack. Ya had a date with Frosty did ya! What some women won't do for a thrill! lol

Another beautiful adventure,,Trees covered in snow are always a visual delight

You're definitely an adrenaline junkie! 👌😃

@bigpawbullets

Hikers and climbers with extremely risky behavior- 99% men- die from falls in their 20s and 30s. At 66, I am still hiking strongly because I assess hazards, pace myself, and bring the right equipment.

"That's too dangerous," I tell Karen and Gro. I refuse to go.

First hike was too dangerous. Then we found Golden Larches.

@LiterateHiker
Well, I continue to applaud your attitude for living well. 👌

@bigpawbullets

Thank you!

Beautiful

Please stay away from Avalanche prone areas....we love you and want you safe

@Larry68Feminist

Thank you.

In the winter, we stay away from avalanche chutes at Ingalls Creek, Twin Lakes and Merritt Lake. Narrow valleys with high sides.

@LiterateHiker I wonder how new snowfall patterns and roadway erosion can cause a big enough Avalanche to cause a highway chain reaction pile up collision....I remember road signs warning us truckers not to sound our bullhorns

@Larry68Feminist

Wildfires burn off plants and trees that hold in the soil. The result is landslides.

How to assess avalanche danger

[rei.com]

@LiterateHiker yup ...mudslides rockslides snowslides.....

Thanks for getting me out of the house today.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454031
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.