Agnostic.com

29 8

Finished a vest and all I see are flaws. Do you ever feel like this?

"I get one chance to do the buttonholes right," I worried. "If I mess up, the vest is ruined."

Practice was maddening. No buttonhole was the same. Bucked up and got it done.

Nerves. Too close to it. Feel like I've been through a war. All I see are the flaws. Am considering taking it to a tailor to make it follow the lines of my body more. Can't stand the thought of tearing apart the vest again. I'd have to take off the bottom cuff again!

The suede is so heavy, as the vest hangs it smooths out. Will let it hang for a few days before deciding what to do.

With sewing, I let my perfectionist freak flag fly. It's positive (often beautiful results) and negative (inner criticism).

Do you ever feel like this when you sweat over making something?

Advice?

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Each pattern company has a slightly different fit. Once you know how your body differs from their fit you can do the alterations on the pattern before you cut out the garment.

MizJ Level 8 Jan 30, 2020

@MizJ

You're right. I always let a garment hang a few days before hemming.

The seamstress suggested I ask Butterick for a muslin pattern.

"You can bring the muslin pattern and we'll alter it to fit you," she said. "Then you can use it to adjust patterns to fit you." That's what I will do.

@LiterateHiker The garment industry calls fitting patterns slopers

Looks great. Clumsy as I am, I wouldn't do better so don't be harsh on yourself. The lady that did the finishing for you gave you a compliment, right? So you didn't do that bad. Take it as a learning experience.

Wear it hiking or gardening or bicycling to keep your torso warm....appreciate the sweatshops making garments to perfection in Bangalore or Maylasia

It's probably a little different when it comes to sewing, since someone's going to wear it, but some of the best advice I have ever received is to finish something and move on. Because if you keep coming back to something, you'll always find flaws in it. Better to finish the project and move onto your next one, even if it's really difficult to move on. I'm a perfectionist so I know the struggle, though mine is with my writing, but eventually you just have to say it's finished and work on something else.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454558
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.