Agnostic.com

70 7

Do you think all religious are equal?

Some Atheists claim that all religions or religious philosophies are the same since they are equally false. I assert that them being equally false is irrelevant. Ideologies and belief systems embed particular values and ideas who have different consequences on human behavior. Consequences on the human behavior is what really matters as this is how it truly affects society. Not all religions are equal because they represent different religious philosophies and set of rules in the same way that godless ideologies such as marxism or capitalism are.

Do you believe that all religions are equal? What do you mean by it? This issue underlines the Christianity vs. Islam debate. Please defend your case here.

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

70 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. Some are more abusive than others.

Nope, for example, Islam is the most volatile, repressive, and insidious religion at the moment.

at the moment maybe, but a fringe element of the religion. That formula has not changed much for all of history. Its not the first time extremist have come about. Jews, Christians, and likely all religions before, and most after. The ideas of religion makes them equally bad. The idea that I am right, everyone else is wrong, and nothing you can say or do can change that. That idea, mixed with the idea what you need to devout, to sacrifice, to spread your ideas or else. That is the cocktail that makes all religions equally bad.

I think all Religious are equal just as all Governments are equal...I think the term "fornicators" was a description designed for the two. They crawl in bed together and manipulate the masses, seeking to control every aspect of our lives. We will generally get in bed with one if not both. People will harm you to defend these fornicators.

I think all extremists are dangerous - no matter what religion or non religion. Just reading comments from the members of this sights proves to me that it does not matter much what you label yourself belief wise.... extremists are scary and annoying.

I do not believe all religions are the same. Some of the most common recent ones are really similar. But all religious and non religious affiliations can have groups that are the same... They have that way of thinking that is "my way is the only way". That way of thinking is so wrong. People get so hung up on labels to much. Labels can be ok to a point but we need to look beyond the labels to make a truly informed decision.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 4, 2017

I certainly would not put Jainism on the same level as fundamentalist Christianity or Islam.

All religions are equally false, but not all religions are equal in their consequences. Just because two things share one trait doesn't mean they share all traits, nor are they the same in all regards.

All religions are based on ungrounded cultural mythology and superstition. Still some religions treat people with greater dignity and respect than others. They do less damage.

From a scientific viewpoint there can be little difference between religions in as much as they are all figments of someone imagination. That being said there are some religions that are so virilent that they are much more of a threat to the rest of civilization.

I believe they are equal in their falseness, they all profess to the supernatural to some degree, they all make claims as to how one should live their lives, so in many ways they are different but yet the goals are the same

Religions are generally based on a common thread of fantasy - a sort of opiate to calm the fears of humans. So, in that respect they are equal. Religions could be beneficial if they are relegated to humans' spiritual needs ( many people simply need the opiate or else can't cope). Some religions are better at this than others. When a religion intrudes in the political arena, well, then it's no longer about religion, is it? It's about POWER to control others. Islam seems to be the most pernicious, at least because it has so many adherents. But, let's face it, Christianity has shown similar patterns when it was the main cultural/political force.

If a religion is untrue...and for all I can see no evidence..then there is no difference. One could debate to what extent has religion caused war and conflict and make a judgement on that. The crusades, Holocaust to name but two are pretty good examples of why religion is insane.

I thought they were all equals... until I discovered Scientology. Now, I consider the difference between religions where the leaders believe in what they say and the ones where the leaders are just there to make money or have power (like Raelians and Scientology)

MarcO Level 5 Oct 18, 2017

Clearly not all religions are equal as many are based on wildly differing tenants. Janism is basically humanism where you cannot be violent to others, so this must be better than all the Abrahamic religions. Buddhism hasn't been talked about much in the comments and as that doesn't have a central text and uses the ideas of one's own experiences to validate your own beliefs and truths, again clearly better / different to Abrahamic religions. I've heard that most psychologists, if religious, are Buddhists. Scientology is a crock of crap so we can forget about that.

Are all illusions equal? No, some are more harmful to society than others. Some are more harmful to the person. Some are both.

They are all equal in appropriating morality through regular ritual and devotion which keeps the believer from straying thoughts logic or reason. The rules may vary, but the outcome is the same, in that it is an attempt to control large groups of people. Rituals give them a sense of unity. Certain clothing separates them from others. They seek to create an 'us' and 'them' system which defines non believers as lesser beings which god allows to be killed or subjugated and lands conquered with out guilt or sin.

I believe that all religions are equal and the value they get is given by their followers earnestness.

SamL Level 7 Oct 20, 2017

All religions are only equal in there willful disregard of reality, but they are far from being equally benign.

I have noticed that Christianity is the worst. They FORCED their beliefs on others. Our history shows forcing their beliefs on SLAVES, Native Americans. The RIGHT WING wants to force it on our school kids. True Islam teaches peace. The KKK say the are GOD's work. They are nothing but home grown terrorist.

"Do you think all religious are equal?"

Equal in what sense?

"Some Atheists claim that all religions or religious philosophies are the same since they are equally false."

Well certain non-supernatural claims found in religions may be true. I think Jesus probably did exist but that doesn't say much on it's own does it?

"I assert that them being equally false is irrelevant. Ideologies and belief systems embed particular values and ideas who have different consequences on human behavior."

True but it's hard to really judge them all equal handedly.

"Consequences on the human behavior is what really matters as this is how it truly affects society."

True.

"Not all religions are equal because they represent different religious philosophies and set of rules in the same way that godless ideologies such as marxism or capitalism are."

True.

"Do you believe that all religions are equal?"

Perhaps not in their negative impacts on humanity but to really objectively compare every aspect of each one without any cultural value judgements creeping in is neigh on impossible!

"What do you mean by it?'

i'm pretty sure they can't all be equal but how the hell can you be entirely objective when judging them all?

"This issue underlines the Christianity vs. Islam debate. Please defend your case here."

As far as I'm concerned most are so bad they are largely as bad as each other. I'm OK with Jains though because the more fundamentalist they get the less you have to worry about them as harmful because they are 100% pacifist. They won't even kill insects i they can help it!

Paul Level 5 Oct 22, 2017

All religious people are equal in their disdain for rational thought and reason. I keep seeing references on this site to "the good people" who practice religion as opposed to the zealots. There are no "good people." In some ways they are worse. They provide cover for and legitimize the zealots who take religious delusions to the extreme. It is dangerous to distinguish one religion from another based on "the particular values and ideas who (sic) have different consequences on human behavior." This has been enough to spark wars and crusades throughout all human history. And I hear the same idea referenced by many christians who worship the same god and read the same scriptures as do their slandered brethren who are muslim. Even christians are at the throats of other christians for no better reason than religious bigotry based on minute philosophical differences. The bloody wars between catholics and protestants come to mind as well as The Troubles in Northern Ireland. Falling into the trap of ranking the religious by the characteristics of their religions on a "good to bad" scale makes you vulnerable to the siren song of politicians itching to wage war. Religion could not be used as a cover for wars of aggression whose true aims are to loot other countries of their resources and wage cultural imperialism in the fight to make the world safe for McDonald' and KFC. If the vast majority of the electorate were atheists or, at least, considered all religious justifications for waging war as spurious there would be one less phony flag to fly while trying to convince a skeptical nation to go to war.

Yes all are based on faith (myths), fear and the position that they are the only correct religion!!! They all play as if they are being nice to each other but when it gets down to the basics they all believe that they have the right path to heaven. Every religion is treated the same in our society except for islam which is questionable. They receive benefits due to their (holy status) and the good that they are perceived to do. Their charity work is great except when they make it mandatory to attend a service first! Regardless of their rules or philosophies they prey on the fear belief of an afterlife. The original religions could have been established to provide a society with
common sense rules but were ruined by priests who soon recognized the power they enjoyed over the society. They controlled the human behavior. Islam isn't any different than voodoo or any other religion the premises remain the same.

I agree with you. Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Sarah Haider and other well-known Muslims all point to the fact that it is their holy book and adherence to it that causes so many problems within the Muslim communities. All Christians are not alike. The closer they adhere to their holy book the more immoral they become in my opinion. It’s fundies that profess belief in killing gays, in taking away civil rights, women’s rights and that claim they’re being persecuted when anyone argues with them. Some do believe in science, evolution, and human rights. From what I’ve seen moderate Muslims are less tolerant than almost all Christians. I would certainly team up with a Christian or a Muslim for a good cause even though I disagreed with him and would argue with him the next day on philosophy. I see so much us/them ideology right now that I don’t want to get in that same camp as what we see in government. They are all false but not all equally dangerous.

gearl Level 8 Oct 24, 2017

I find them all equally delusional.

I think they are equal in their lack of truth. Most are equal in their lack of equal treatment of women and gays, etc. ALL would subjugate non-believers in a heartbeat if they were allowed.

I think if you follow the golden rule of treating others like you want to be treated, and you try to help a person in distress like in the story of the good Samaritan, then I you'll live an altruistic life. I was heavily indoctrinated as a Catholic school girl, so if I were to salvage anything from the bible, it would be those two teachings. However, for religion to work in the way good people think it should, we also have to completely ignore the majority of stories in the bible. For instance, the story of Issac who was ready to sacrifice his son for god is totally screwed up as is the fact that for some stupid reason Jesus had to die a horrible death to absolve us of our sins.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.