Agnostic.com

70 7

Do you think all religious are equal?

Some Atheists claim that all religions or religious philosophies are the same since they are equally false. I assert that them being equally false is irrelevant. Ideologies and belief systems embed particular values and ideas who have different consequences on human behavior. Consequences on the human behavior is what really matters as this is how it truly affects society. Not all religions are equal because they represent different religious philosophies and set of rules in the same way that godless ideologies such as marxism or capitalism are.

Do you believe that all religions are equal? What do you mean by it? This issue underlines the Christianity vs. Islam debate. Please defend your case here.

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

70 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’d have to say that some are more harmful than others are.

In one respect they are all very similar. There's something wrong with you, only this will fix it.
I hold that religion is antihuman, it preys on this odd self loathing our species seems burdened with.

nah. There have been faiths where people built up large piles of feces and prayed to it. You can't say that is equal to say the the teaching of buddha.

@powder I cited Buddhism as an example.

@powder you say this but the lifestyle he laid out for his monks didnt allow them to work except if they faced starvation. They were supposed to depend on people noticing that they needed something and give it to them. Outright begging was frowned on but so was earning money.

No, and these big box churches are created to do one thing:
Make lots of money. Also, some are to advance a political agenda.

No.

Yes. They are all equally man-made.

All just different fairytales.

yes they are equally crap and fairy tales written by men to dominate woman

We can say one religion is worser than the other by the virtues of fellow people

May be..
I would give a different perspective on this.
An athiest is at a higher level where he/she see all other religion below him. So all are same to him.
how could be one religion better than the other if one descended from the other??

As I heard a Methodist once say. " As long as we can agree that the Baptist are more wrong than the Methodists, we can get along."

I believe that all religions are incorrect in the same way, in that they espouse an idea for which there is no valid evidence, and attempt to make claims about the world then back them up, instead of using the evidence to then come to conclusions.

All religions are 100% equal. Many religions have killed in the name of their god.and have been horrible to their fellow man just because it's part of their religon

I would put christians at the bottom of my list.

I don't mind religions such as Islam, Buddhism, etc

I think that ancient cultures and Native American deities are very interesting.

I can identify parts of myself with Wicca and Pagan religions.

All religions have the same innate ability to cause harm to society - and some are better at it than others. But just because one is not CURRENTLY as destructive as another does not make it any less false - and it is the falseness of all religions that make them equal.

Right!

Currently the Islamic religion appears to be the most violent religion , although the Christian religion, some will argue, is just as violent. The nontheistic religions Buddhism, Confucianism, Satanism (TST of Detroit) seem to be the least violent, although the Buddhists of India have been in conflict with Hindus and Muslims.

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, behaves like a duck.. then it must be a duck.

They are all equal inasmuch as they are all untrue ... Some are more dangerous than others at various points in history .

There is no single answer to the specific question. One may say that they are on an equal footing in that they promote belief in place of thoughtful, critical investigation. That is a valid answer.

In agreement with your posit, one can also say that they are not because of differing dogma, belief systems, actions, etc. This too is a valid answer.

What the question appears to be asking is whether there is a difference between religions that is qualitative. The answer to this would be in the affirmative. What each does to and how each affects society as a whole is readily subject to a qualitative value. On a scale with the least harmful at the bottom and the most dangerous at the top, Jainism would be 0 on the scale and radical Islam would be a 10. Everything else would fall somewhere on the scale between those values. I hasten to point out that all the Abrahamic religions would be crowding the upper end of the scale.

I think if you follow the golden rule of treating others like you want to be treated, and you try to help a person in distress like in the story of the good Samaritan, then I you'll live an altruistic life. I was heavily indoctrinated as a Catholic school girl, so if I were to salvage anything from the bible, it would be those two teachings. However, for religion to work in the way good people think it should, we also have to completely ignore the majority of stories in the bible. For instance, the story of Issac who was ready to sacrifice his son for god is totally screwed up as is the fact that for some stupid reason Jesus had to die a horrible death to absolve us of our sins.

I think they are equal in their lack of truth. Most are equal in their lack of equal treatment of women and gays, etc. ALL would subjugate non-believers in a heartbeat if they were allowed.

I find them all equally delusional.

I agree with you. Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Sarah Haider and other well-known Muslims all point to the fact that it is their holy book and adherence to it that causes so many problems within the Muslim communities. All Christians are not alike. The closer they adhere to their holy book the more immoral they become in my opinion. It’s fundies that profess belief in killing gays, in taking away civil rights, women’s rights and that claim they’re being persecuted when anyone argues with them. Some do believe in science, evolution, and human rights. From what I’ve seen moderate Muslims are less tolerant than almost all Christians. I would certainly team up with a Christian or a Muslim for a good cause even though I disagreed with him and would argue with him the next day on philosophy. I see so much us/them ideology right now that I don’t want to get in that same camp as what we see in government. They are all false but not all equally dangerous.

gearl Level 8 Oct 24, 2017

Yes all are based on faith (myths), fear and the position that they are the only correct religion!!! They all play as if they are being nice to each other but when it gets down to the basics they all believe that they have the right path to heaven. Every religion is treated the same in our society except for islam which is questionable. They receive benefits due to their (holy status) and the good that they are perceived to do. Their charity work is great except when they make it mandatory to attend a service first! Regardless of their rules or philosophies they prey on the fear belief of an afterlife. The original religions could have been established to provide a society with
common sense rules but were ruined by priests who soon recognized the power they enjoyed over the society. They controlled the human behavior. Islam isn't any different than voodoo or any other religion the premises remain the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.