Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Facebook Is Free For A Reason!

People that know me well have figured out that i am not a huge fan of facebook. I decided 4 years ago that trading more of my privacy in exchange for a cyber connection with around 90% of people on my friends list that i really don't even know well, was not worth it.

Back when i was on facebook, This is what i noticed happening with the mobile app:

when I add any phone numbers to my cell phones contacts, This contact, and friends associated with this contact would appear in that section of Facebook "People you may know", or "friend suggestions".

I would also notice ads from purchases i made on amazon appearing in my feed.

Creepy......

twshield 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it is real creepy. I've grown kinda scared of it.

@twshield hello! it's sure good to see you around again tim! hope you're doing dandy. not around quite as much as I used to be as of late. having a few health things to deal with, but trying to keep a good attitude. anyhow, great to see you back around sir.

@twshield thank you sir, I appreciate it most sincerely!

I'm still on Facebook and I notice such things also. I have started to complain by dong a post called "Dear Facebook." I've done this several times now and they lighten up on me for a while. One example is that I tell them I did look at a car, some property, and items on Marketplace. I am no more going to buy any of those than I am those pretty young girls I looked at from India, so knock it off please!

It isn't just Facebook. We are the product now. If I visit Lowe's or Home Depot online my main e-mail comes up to show me what I was looking at. Usually the best way to deal with that is to mark it as spam. This happens in Yahoo mail all the time.

Agreed, they’ve been begging for my phone # for ..years. No way. FB wasn’t coming up for me recently, hacked? ..and without my phone #.. could I really not get back on?

After about ten seconds of consideration, I thought - good! But, it came back up.. It’s like the coolest people I know have dumped fb 😀

Varn Level 8 Feb 6, 2020

Yeah, the internet in general is creepy, but Messenger in particular is quite invasive on mobile phones. It accesses everything.

I don't have the FB or Messenger apps on my phone and, since I can't delete the FB App Installer, I've made sure to disable it. I often have to revisit the app permissions after installing a manufacturer's update.

I only have a small group of people I know well on Facebook, and it still serves a purpose for me in keeping in touch with them.

You can de-authorize individual features of any app on Android.

I have none of this on my phones and I have cheap throw away phones only. I will not get or want the "app" for anything. I'm even pissed at the app questions at the checkout line. Do I want that app? Of course. I've got 6,000 so far and counting. Damn, I can't rememeber all these passwords.

When the product is free, you are the product.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:457028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.