Agnostic.com

6 0

Upcoming holidays

Any pointers for dealing with the general tension the holidays bring? I’m newly out as atheist in a religious family and it’s going to be tense, I fear. I don’t plan on bringing it up but I’d like to be prepared. Thanks.

AppStateKate 4 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't go. Spend the day doing something else. I'll join you.

Avoidance and running help me.

I never had a problem with my family on that. Not all of my family were that religious My family were close and didn't let it get in the way. We were there to have dinner. I don't know how families can become divided. We felt blood was thicker than anything else.

If you intend to stay in touch and see your family more than once every five years, use lots of platitudes and change the subject. Don't engage directly and have a nice holiday (as best as you can).

My parents died when I was younger, and my differences have kept me away from my siblings - and even though I miss talking to them at the holidays, I certainly don't miss their religious attitudes and proselytizing. I like my choice, but most people would feel guilty about not "staying part of the family", I think.

I just laugh when I think about how 90% of these "Christmas decorations" (decorated pine trees, pine cones, reindeer) are acctually celebrating Yule which is a pagan tradition.

I laugh along with you, most everything is pagan origin Christmas and Easter. Then the Churches come along and stamp it Holy and everything becomes Holy. Quite amusing.

Just remember you have the right to have or not have any conversation. If you don't want to talk about your atheism, or their theism, then don't. If they push that's on them...not you. You're smart and capable. You've got this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.