Agnostic.com

5 7

LINK Susan B. Anthony was a lesbian hero but they don’t teach you that in history class

Are we finally willing to tell the truth about her life and work on her 200th birthday?

HippieChick58 9 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The ancient Greeks accepted multiple sexuality. The Romans also. Somehow this then became unacceptable. (spread of an STD? Religious interference? State need for greater populations? )
Whatever the reason, by Mediaeval times all such practices had become ostracised and outlawed.
Only now is the pendulum swinging back.

A lovely article, although the intentional ignorance of our history books isn't really surprising, given who writes them, and that's a shame.

I'm not sure why that's important for people to share, or to know. She didn't invent lesbianism and apparently wasn't interested in having it be part of her legacy. Why is it important to point out people whose sexual preferences might not have been mainstream? Do we do that with men? Should we? There's nothing that goes on between the sheets between consenting adults that should be considered everyone else's business... not unless they themselves decide so.

I agree that it's immaterial. At least it is for me, but that's because their sexuality makes no difference to me. But then kids grow up learning that there is only one way to be "normal" if they want to emulate their heroes. Imagine the difference if they could see a broader picture. And imagine the tolerance that may evolve in straight people if they learned there was more than one way to be. Personally, I think even more highly of SBA's achievements, knowing that she did them while bucking social pressures concerning her sexuality.

No problem for me, she accomplished much

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 11, 2020

Good information. How sad that tour guides at Susan B. Anthony's house would not inform the public that she was lesbian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:458934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.