Agnostic.com

4 5

This Visual Timer Gets My Twins to Eat Their Breakfast

Hilarious article!

[slate.com]

Why, oh, why wasn't this timer available when my daughter was little? Claire stoutly refused to eat breakfast. "It hurts my tummy," she said gloomily.

I danced around, making up statistics on the fly. "Ninety percent of girls who drink their orange juice get "A's" in school." Nothing worked.

Brain wave. Japanese bento boxes. I cut a down a paper lunch sack. In it, I arranged a peeled Mandarin orange opened like a flower, juice box, whole wheat toast cut into triangles, cheese cubes, carrot and celery sticks and a napkin.

Each morning, I drove Claire to school. Without a word about eating, I casually set the bento box beside her on the backseat. (Under WA State law, kids below a certain height have to ride in the backseat in a car.)

On the way to school, Claire got bored and polished off the food. Fist pump.

How did you get your kid(s) to eat breakfast?

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You stumbled on the dynamic that some kids are resistant so you have to make them think doing what they need to do is their idea or in their interest.

Or more exactly, at times all kids are resistant, and at those times, escalating pitched contests of wills usually don't end well. Come to it, that principle applies with adults sometimes, too.

I always enjoyed breakfast, mom,s problem was slowing us down eating because we wanted to get outside and play

Lucky kid! I got Carnation Instant Breakfast.

I was gonna say lucky kid cuz if I didn't eat then hitting would be used or threatened or there'd be no breakfast if my sister was in charge of feeding us-- she was only a kid herself!

You insidiously cunning mother!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:459531
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.