Agnostic.com

6 13

Today's hike: dangerous icy trails and snowy mountains

Both Karen and I are recovering from the flu. The flu shot we got last September covered two A and one B type of flu. We got the second B flu, Karen's doctor husband said.

Happy to get outside on a sunny day, we put on microspikes and braved ice and snow in the mountains. The first trail we tried was hard ice. Our microspikes didn't pierce the ice. Dangerous.

"Let's go higher toward Mission Ridge Ski Area," I said. "It snowed there last weekend. Maybe we can get away from the ice." Nope. All of the trails in the area were covered in thick ice.

But as we climbed higher on Pipeline trail, the snow got deeper over the ice, making it safer to walk. To avoid descending the icy trail, we scrambled up a steep hillside. Arriving at the top of the ridge, the logging road was like a skating rink. So we went off-trail, circling down in fresh snow through the woods to the car.

We hiked 6.1 miles with 1,500 feet of elevation gain. What a gorgeous day!

Photos:

1. Mt. Stuart, 9,416 feet.

2. Large Ponderosa Pine looks like a bonsai from high winds.

3. Glacier Peak, 10,000 feet.

#Flu
LiterateHiker 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bonsai! The karate kid! Beautiful! 😄😘

Great pictures!

Glad you are an experienced hiker who no-doubt knows that a little snow covering a patch of ice can do you in! I love my nearby San Gabriel Mountains and have known them intimately since childhood, but this love includes an appreciation of how dangerous they can be to the unwary and/or the unlucky! I’ve seen many a chopper ferrying out injured or deceased hikers ...

You have such fantastic beautiful hiking area ,Love that you love doing this so much and what it brings to your life

Nice pics of your hike.

Wow awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 18, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:461428
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.