Agnostic.com

8 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pedophiles are always there in one guise or another.

All Abrahamic religions abuse children. Christians, Muslims and Jews. Remember Abraham and his son?

It's not just Catholic priests that abuse kids. Other denominations do as well. The BS filled bankruptcy because of this problem. Give a guy some power and watch him turn into a criminal (we all know of one such person).

Any parent who chooses to still be a member of any church after a pastor/priest/volunteer have been found to molest children, and that establishment does not involve the police does not deserve those children.

Absolutely 😢

It seems like any place there are children pedophiles worm their way in.

Sadly this is very true, the vetting process today is better than it was in secular organisations, but is still grossly inadequate.

380 cases in twenty years for an association with many millions of members is not reason to demonize all Southern Baptists.

“None of this is good enough. It’s the bare minimum. I wouldn’t trust my kids in a Southern Baptist church given how little the SBC leaders seem to care about claims of abuse, and I have no clue how any decent parent could even if they’re believers. It’s amazing how hundreds of victims mean so little to so many people.” Hemant Menta

I would ask how many cases occurred in public schools, in organizations of all types. I venture to say that if atheists had an organization where there were children’s programs that sleazy pedophiles would worm their way in.

@TheMiddleWay Public/private sure, and I've known cases where I've worked as a teacher - I never witnessed cover ups (I did get yelled at for reporting suspected abuse, accusing a work mate - no cover up though and he was immediately yanked, later jailed).

@TheMiddleWay How do you know?

@Jolanta Click on the link. Page 26:

“Based on the assumption that the AAUW surveys accurately represent the experiences of all K-12 students, more than 4.5 million students are subject to sexual misconduct by an employee of a school sometime between kindergarten and 12th grade.”

@WilliamFleming 1 case in 100 years is one too many especially in ANY establishment or institution that has a duty of care and public trust, when the organisation as a whole turns a blind eye or tries to cover it up that is monstrous.
Then the abuse is only the beginning of the problem, the deception, condoning, hiding and protection of the abuser to facilitate their continued abusing is the true horror of the matter.

@LenHazell53 There has been no deception, condoning, hiding and protection by the SBC. The SBC is only an association of totally independent and autonomous churches. Any deception has to be assigned to individual member churches.

The only influence the SBC has is for the delegates to require certain conditions for membership. The delegates from the various churches voted to oust those churches that were known not to have taken corrective action in abuse cases. That’s all they could do

Immediately scurrilous haters such as Hemant Menta leap in with slurring articles, spreading fear, hatred and divisiveness, even though abuse cases in SBC churches are very rare. As pointed out and documented by TheMiddleWay, abuse cases in public schools are 100 times more common.

Just as a matter of efficiency and economy of emotional energy I’d think people would direct most of their criticism to where the bulk of the problem is. To do otherwise reveals personal bias—in this case bias against religion and against anything “southern”.

@WilliamFleming Interesting, thank you

@WilliamFleming I just have problem with anything pedophile southern, northern or anything else

Good for them. Too late is better than never. I would like to see this as the first of many.

Sure hope they don't hurt their arms from patting themselves on the back.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:461975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.