Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK Sanders Is Behind With Black Voters. He Didn’t Fix That in Flint.

Fuck me.

Sanders campaign aides had billed the event as an opportunity for him to make a case directly to black voters for why they should support him over Mr. Biden. But the audience ended up being overwhelmingly white...

The overwhelmingly white audience burst into applause.

1of5 8 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Uuummmm, today March 8 Jesse Jackson will endorse him...

Oh goodie, how many other black folks will show up? Last I knew Jesse still only gets to vote once.

@1of5 Bernie has a bunch of other high status black academic and political types. Problem is? Those people don't translate to the actual black community. Guess who decides what "status" is?

Interesting article. When Jesse Jackson ran for Pres in 1984 (how old is he??) His best showing was in Georgia where he got 21% of the dem primaryvote. Hardly smacks of meaningful support. But he did make some real history and changes, for sure, even still. But that was 35 years ago. [nbcnews.com]

Side note the last line of that article is about "beating reagan, no matter what". Kinda sounds familiar.

@MarkiusMahamius sounds like he's running around with rich folks.

I remember that election very well. To bad Reagan won. At least we know the country can survive the prez suffering from cognitive decline. Trumps gonna see if it can survive one that's fucking nuts.

Good analysis of the "black vote" pre primary cycle [vox.com]

@1of5 tbf those people (a few academics and at least some politicians) are hardly rich, they're just not dirt poor like most Amricans. Though honestly, Bernies refusal to deal with the unpleasant financial realities of BIG money in politics, may be the biggest reason he can't get ahead. Being absolutely principled is a good trait if you're in charge of your own life. Not so much if it's a whole bunch of other people.

@MarkiusMahamius they aint working stiffs, thats for sure.

I can't wait for Bernie to turn down Mike "I left 500 million laying around. Anyone seen my wallet?" Bloomberg's cash while begging people who only have an extra hundred for 20 bucks - every week.

@1of5 I'm sure Bernies advisors and aides are getting paid fair market rate. So yeah a whole bunch of people who really don't have the money, are paying their salaries. I'm sure theres more "rich peoole" in the world of political campaigns than there are in academia. Good point.

@MarkiusMahamius isn't it nice we have to send money to people we want to vote for?

If hes going to be a leader, he needs to able to talk to people. He can't be a white people president and have aides or advisors or his veep be the black sub president. He has a long history of working in poor communities, lot of them black, but despite his real knowledge and experience (or maybe because of it) he seems content with an us/them stance. That's pretty disturbing. Someone who won't even try to bridge the divides, would be a useless president. No better than weve got now.

Warren - probably his closest in ideology - not endorsing him now or in 2016 tells me a lot about what she thinks of his ability to actually enact what they'd both like.

Bernie is big hypocrite. He never had any black American in his staff for 30 years. He has always enjoyed a privileged life as a white American man. America's black Americans will remember it in November 2020. I will enjoy American voters rejecting Bernie this year again.. once in 2016 was not enough. He is just bad news all around.

I guess it's nice when us white folk show up to something billed as a minority event in enough numbers to keep them a minority - at thier own event. Guess it's better than having no one show up at all. Article didn't mention how many attended or if any were turned away.

Bernie was a poor working stiff till he got elected mayor. Accidentally became a millionaire after his book. Whoops.

He got arrested protesting long before it became "fashionable". Jesse Jackson is endorsing him today because he was there....... You have Got to stop repeating outright falsehoods you saw on Faux!

@AnneWimsey what are the falsehoods?

@MarkiusMahamius
She is saying Bernie protested in favor of civil rights and in support of MLK while in Chicago. It is true but black Americans only featured in his public life. Never had even one black staffer in 30 years until 2017. It is like saying I am not racist because I have a black friend. Bernie has lived the white American male privilege all his life.

@St-Sinner the whole definition of true/false is messed up here. DT really did connect with the beliefs of many Americans/people when he starting calling news on topics he disnt like, "fake news"

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:468101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.