Agnostic.com

0 1

My Workplace Responds to COVID-19- Michigan Department of Corrections

From a bulletin I received through my union on my days off:

"MDOC (the Michigan Department of Corrections) announced Friday that no visitors or volunteers will be allowed inside prisons.

The latest information we were told is that non-custody staff will perform health screenings on staff before they are allowed inside. Questions asked will include whether you have had a cough, fever, chills, or shortness of breath and whether you have had contact with anyone known to be infected. Temperatures will be taken with an infrared thermometer held to the forehead, and temperature will be the deciding factor in whether someone will be allowed inside. 100.4 or higher is the threshold for a fever. Shift command will make the final decision on who will enter.
Any staff denied entry will be required to use sick days. MCO is advocating for the state to offer relief or exception in this case since it’s being deemed an emergency protocol. We will explore pursuing an et al grievance if officers are ultimately forced to use leave based on a temperature reading. If someone is sent home, they will not be required to get medically cleared by a doctor to return to work the next day."

I go back to work tomorrow, and I'll be interested to see how this all works in practice. I'm also curious to see what steps are being taken inside the facility. Thursday prisoner workers were spraying and wiping down common surfaces with disinfectant, but that's our normal practice anyway; it was just a measure on the part of management to cover their asses that we had "official" instructions to make this happen. From everything we've been instructed during previous health crises, the cleaning products we use are just as effective as bleach and with the bonus that they can't be used to spray or throw in someone's face to assault them; we'll see if management has revised that assessment to go ahead and use bleach and make people feel better about the cleaning process (even though using multiple cleaners is really counterproductive, since you clean off the disinfectant, where the instructions are to spray it on and let it sit there and kill whatever's on the surface).

It seems as if they're doing everything they can to declare it an emergency, short of officially declaring an emergency, since that would mean giving out vacation comp for every hour worked and giving administrative leave for anyone who couldn't come in to work- which would include sick people. It's a weird borderline situation, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Paul4747 8 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:470781