Agnostic.com

15 0

For the readers. What was the title of that first book which really turned you on to reading and made you want to read more?

I find that most avid readers remember one book whch really turned them on to reading and made them want to read a lot more. For me, it was a book assigned for me to read in high school, "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck. It isn't oen of his better known books, and is a pretty short novel, Just in case you only like Hollywood endings, I will say that like mos tof Stienbecks books this too is a tragedy.

I am hoping to fidn some new books and authors to read. And maybe other readers will find some as well.

snytiger6 9 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This requires thinking back half a century. Maybe "Tom Sawyer".

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.then the whole Narnia sarga. That was a long time ago 🙂

Watership Down, Where the red fern grows, God bless you Mrs Rosewater, A brief history of time.

I don't remember the exact first book that turned me on, really. I was 6 when I started reading non-stop, I swallowed the books that I could get my hands on. Home situation wasn't the best, and books were my escape. They still are to this day. But for me, I am pretty sure it was a collection of fairy tales.

I don't remember a specific book, anything by Stephen King.

i find Stephen King to be very easy to read. However, I prefer his few bo0oks that don't have supernatural aspects to them. My favorite of his being "Cujo".

When I was 7 I got bored with the hoard of Dr. Suess books we had, so I sat down and decided to read the dictionary from cover to cover. After that around 5th grade or so I started reading Shakespeare, of course not really understanding what I was reading, but it got me into reading literature. Here recently even though he's a YA author, his books are really well written, but I've become a huge fan of John Green. If you're looking for more adult humor with a hint of mystery I would suggest to you the John Dies at the End series by David Wong.

I added David Wong to my reading list. It seems his genre is listed mostly as humorous science fiction. It should be interesting.

Yeah, that's a little more accurate than my description, once you read the first book, you should check out the movie, especially if you enjoy kind of campy B rated films. Although I'm not so sure that they will turn the other two books into films, but I kind of wish they would.

This is terrible, but here it is. The Mad Magazine. I loved drawing the pictures and reading the stories. I never got that good at drawing. I did get screwed up from reading the magazine.

I read the "Mad" magazine too. I think it helped me learn to realize some absurdities in life, and how ridiculous some points of view could really be.

Kontiki by Thor hyrdohl

Gone with the Wind, I was 9, it was that or one of my Dad's Louie Lamour westerns. I went with the southern belle with issues.

Well, as a child it was Charlotte’s Web.

A Brave New World both fascinated and terrified me.

I found "The Handmaid's Tale" more frightening than "Brave New World". Bothe were about possible futures.

"1984" left me so stunned and in shock, it took me more than a week to start to recover from it.

I often wonder why fuuristc books often have such a bleak outlook.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I didn't read the Tolken books until after "The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy came otu in theaters. The books were very popular in high school, but strangely nobody ever recommended the books to me, I just remember seeing them everywhere aroudhn school. At the time, I assumed it was assigned reading for some class.

It was for a high school class, but a book of our choosing. It was recommended to me by a bookstore clerk, after I expressed my interest in King Arthur, after having seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail a bunch of times (on Cinemax). 😀

The "How and Why?" Wonder Book of dinosaurs. I've just bought it off eBay for my grandson 🙂

I think helping others find good books is probably a gift that keeps on giving, as it opens up whole new worlds in reading to them.

I can't remember the title, but it was a collection of SF stories by Isaac Asimov. The stories were short enough to get through but completely fulfilling. Then I started to read his longer stories and I was away 🙂

I love Asimov's books.

Good topic! I don't read as much these days as I might like, but I think what got me reading in the first place was "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" in the third grade. Its religious imagery was lost on me at the time, but I found the story engaging (and, later, the other books from The Chronicles of Narnia). As I got older, I was captivated by the writings of Mark Twain and Isaac Asimov.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.