Agnostic.com

9 2

Is there anyone else here, like me, who doesn't watch Youtube?

This thought was prompted by another post and a question about who people's favorite Youtube atheist is [agnostic.com], and it occurred to me that I don't have one; in fact, I don't have a favorite Youtube anything because I don't watch it. I see no use for it, other than finding music videos I remember from my youth.

When I need answers about something, I skip right over the videos and look for a website that has things written down. I find videos either distracting, with graphics that seem meant to appeal to the MTV viewers, or boring, since it's someone standing and droning on. There's no happy medium, or, if there is, I haven't found it.

The other problem for me is that someone talking is hard to critique. By the time one thought is fully absorbed, they're on to the next. It's so much easier for someone in a video to spout BS because they can disguise it with fast talk and flashy graphics, whereas, in writing, the reader can go back over and over something until they see for themselves whether it does or does not make sense.

The same problem comes when I'm trying to follow instructions for something. In a video, a tricky bit can go past in a second, while I'm looking down manipulating or holding whatever it is I'm assembling or fixing, without my even realizing it. Needless to say, this is frustrating. A diagram holds still for me.

So I ask the above question; is there anyone else like me, who doesn't even watch Youtube?

Paul4747 8 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

YouTube is not only spiritual BS and conspiracy thrash!

Many many informative videos on repairing, building, and creating thins and objects to save money and time among other benefits!!!

If you Cut off your nose to spite your face, you are one ugly shit face idiotic fool!!!

Thank you for that calmly stated opinion.

I use it when I need to see a process, otherwise written instructions work better. I use it for music when I'm in the mood.

I've uploaded a lot of things to YouTube. Mostly the videos of political protests, rallies, and debates.

It's very unusual for me to watch videos on YouTube. Sometimes I get a whim to hear a particular song and I find it there.

@Varn covered a lot of my feelings about YouTube. I don't often use it for music except to check out artists I'm interested in, but when I want cheered up, I can listen to one of the many Christopher Hitchens debates on there, and it's shown me how to repair everything from my deck to a vintage pearl clutch. Sure, there are often diagrams or instructions online, but they aren't always very good. I usually view the video first, and then I can always just pause it at a difficult place.

I rarely watch you tube. I scroll right past the links. If I want to share music, I’ll get the you tube link and post it, buh...because I have to. But I use Amazon music, so I don’t ever even watch/listen to music on you tube.

Damn - YouTube is my main source for ..about everything… When I had full access to Netflix, Hulu, and regular TV ..I kept pulling away, feeling like a hostage to whatever they’d force me to sit through, if ads included.

I kept ending up at YouTube … where I could choose what I wanted to watch, learn, or experience. Really obscure stuff, too! It’s algorithms would bring up even more interesting stuff ...seemingly endless..

I’ve found some ‘channels,’ or folks who post their hobbies, household projects, or jobs that I find fascinating. You can give them a ‘like,’ even leave comments about what you just viewed, they’ll even answer!

Music? - damn - documentaries and interviews allowing me to finally ‘get to know’ artists I’d never have imagined learning about.. Watched a doc on Deep Purple’s making of Machine Head last night … with those guys older than myself, it was fascinating! Why’d they pick that name, why didn't they realize Smoke On The Water was ‘their hit’? Stuff like that..

You can pause to piss, answer a phone … or pick it up days later. Ads aren’t that annoying. On my smart TV, they really give you a break with the ads, very easy to skip ahead ..one click. You can easily repeat anything you didn’t catch - or, kill the feed on anything annoying or obnoxious ..give it a ‘thumbs down!’ Though most my feedback is positive..

Ditched my TV feeds, so other than having missed most of the live primary debates (maybe a good thing?), I do not miss it, or Netflix, which I also gave up; have Hulu ...but never use it.. Man, you get the best cuts from SNL, everything ‘late night’ by segments - don’t have to wait.. I can watch a guy weld steel plates to his container castel roof … or Steve Martin do King Tut 😀

...wouldn’t be - couldn’t be without it.. Not arguing with you, and perhaps I’m speaking from the perspective of someone having lived so deep in the woods/ hills … lacking ‘high speed internet,’ thus incapable of watching YouTube, or MTV ..in the day, it’s still new and amazing to me - and I’m loving it ~

Varn Level 8 Mar 18, 2020

I prefer reading to watching utube

I go there to learn songs for karaoke.

I have been made to swear great and mighty oaths never again to sing karaoke. There was an incident at a Frickers. I might possibly have stood up on a table, I neither confirm nor deny.

@Paul4747 OMFG, I stick to Club soda when singing for just that reason!

@AnneWimsey I never said I was drinking. I'm just a natural showman, I guess.

@Paul4747 oooooh,like you see a microphone & it is like a moth to a flame, with sometimes similar unfortunate results? No idea what you're talking about......none.......

@Paul4747 I might have had a hard cider too many, and a regrettable’Coal Miner’s Daughter’ incident ensued.

Like you I use for videos of music or odds and ends. I do sometimes use it for a detailed explanation of some technical issue where a visual explanation works better than just text.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:471818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.