Agnostic.com

8 2

Hello everyone!

I've been working on an idea for a while now, and I wanted to asked my fellow Atheists/Agnostics about it before I shared it with the rest of the world...

I'm an Atheistic Minister. Ever since I was ordained in 2011, I’ve asked myself, “What would an Atheist preach?” The Atheist community is incredibly diverse. The only real common ground many of us share is our disbelief in God(s). Many of us don’t even agree on what it even means to be an Atheist. I’ve been pondering that question for 6 years. I’ve talked with lots of Atheists and religious people alike, and I’ve done a lot of, for lack of a better term, ‘soul searching’.

After all that, I think I’ve come to an answer for my question, ‘What does an Atheist preach?” I think the better questions is, ‘What does THIS Atheist preach?” The answer: I actively practice critical thinking skills, I actively avoid logical fallacies, I encourage open discussion, I promote compassion for others, I promote diversity.

I hate where the country is right now. There is so much anti-science and anti-reason out there. I refuse to live in a world that doesn’t value reason, and the truth.

What I propose is a space where anyone in the congregation gets a chance to present something to the group, whether it's something they feel is amazing about the world we live in, or something they feel needs to change. I propose a community of Free Thinkers that value above all else: reason, compassion, honesty, and respect for other people's differences.

I envision something reminiscent of show and tell. Anything you want to share is fair game. Science experiments/talks, music, poetry, dance, etc. Whatever, just as long as everyone stays respectful of each others ideas; and everyone stays legal, of course. This may mean that we talk about some uncomfortable topics for some, but that shouldn’t be enough to stop people from communicating. True understanding and progress are impossible without respectful communication.

Many religious groups promote community. I intend to as well. If you are struggling either with your faith, or the emotional consequences of telling your loved ones you lost your faith, you can find support in a safe and respectful environment.

Thanks for the input.

Rev. Rundio

RundioII 5 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In concept this would be considered 'a nice try'. To be blunt: Oxymoronic.
As an atheist try to move away from your past. Bringing in old world ways is not moving on from traditions though nice were ritualistic. A church? All the best architecture has been afforded to the believers.. Go ahead and build, we have nature. Bad religion

Notice, I never used the word 'Church'...

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about what I typed. Some people think it would be dogmatic, but no one has been able to explain how encouraging free thought and open discussion is dogmatic. Others say, "It's an anti-religion religion". Besides the fact that is a nonsensical statement, I said nothing of the sort.

I've noticed people getting stuck on words like 'minister', and 'congregation'. I think the title of 'minister' means very little, even in the context of Christianity. It's totally arbitrary. It can easily be changed to something else, and the idea is still the same. And there is nothing inherently religious about the word 'congregation'. It just means to gather together. There can be a congregation of birds, that doesn't mean they are worshiping anything.

[firstchurchofatheism.com]

I have never heard of this and I have a feeling many people haven't either. Given their context, your post makes more sense, but all the religious terminology, even on their site, just rubs me the wrong way. I think the better verbiage is simply "community center" and "discussions." These are the secular terms for things that are not meant to be biased and persuasive.

Some Unitarian churches are non-theistic. I have been to several. In the Sept.com/Oct. 2017 issue of 'Humanist Magazine' there is an article "What's in a Name? All of us" of how, in 1917 the Unitarian Church embraced humanist ideal. Some rented Unitarian churches I had been to would actually remove any overtly religious signs. The music and 'sermons' were secular and there was always a potluck at the end. They freely accepted non-theists and even had some 'atheist' books. As you may know there seems to be a need for people to gather and socialize and this non-religious gathering impulse is often addressed in many areas worldwide. England seems to have a lot of such gatherings.

And there are ancient Hindu texts that say god can't exist if karma does, because then god has no free will. There are atheistic branches of religions that have their own dogmas, but the general tone of the original post is intentionally vague about the authority that ordained him. I think that is the main reason for the negative tone of the responses being received.

This site exists because people here are addressing the need for community you discuss, but there seems to be a strong rejection of all dogma here, as dogma is something most of us have been damaged by. I find it condescending when people tell me they pray for me and I'm still okay if people want to actually pray for me. However, when you "preach" to me, that has a wholly bad meaning. Preaching is the tool of spreading the dogma. Other than that he's basically saying this site should exist, but I imagine there is an actual organization behind him and there is something more to his meaning.

Then perhaps "preach" is a bad word for it. What would be better?

Congregation? Preach? Organize atheists to take part in ... in services? You. Have. To. Be. Fucking. Kidding. I suggest you leave your bad habits behind you and get on with living a good and kind life and don't worry about ... preaching. You'll be more satisfied. Your fellow atheists will certainly be happy about your new path. And, above all, you'll prove to yourself that you actually can live like a human being.

I said nothing about "organizing Atheists". Please don't put words in my mouth.

What "bad habits" are you referring too? What do you know about my habits?

I didn't expect everyone to like this idea. You don't like it, and I'm fine with that. At least don't insult me.

First, nothing in your post made any sense. Second, because of what was said in the post, one is led to conclude one of three things, 1) that you are lying regarding your assertions, 2) that you were making an attempt at humor, or 3) that you are a troll. I went with the attempt at humor, giving you the benefit of the doubt. Your responses to my comment tell me that you're too thin skinned to be a comedian. Your responses also tell me you were in some way serious and I suggest to you that you're off on the wrong foot. The last thing atheists need is to be demonstrating that the Christians have been right about us all along.

I'm roughly three times your age and have been an atheist for over 60 years. It has been a long, hard road that has finally begun to smooth out a little. You come along and say you're an ordained atheistic minister which tells me you really don't quite understand what atheist means, or at least so it appears. If I have insulted you, I am sorry, but bear in mind that this comment is in many ways an inappropriate insult to all of us

Wow! You totally misunderstand me. Whether you think it , or not, I am sincere.

I'm not "thin skinned". I just think Ad Hominem arguments are useful. Attack the idea, not me.

Scientists don't preach. Philosophers don't preach. Artists don't preach. Poets don't preach.

The only people that preach are religious people and politicians.

So, if "preach" isn't the right word, what is? "Teach" maybe? Or, "encourage".

Also, I never said I was a scientist...

Hi,

As you probably know, since you've been doing this since 2011, what you are doing is no easy thing for various reasons. Props to you for starting this and attempting to form a community of atheists/agnostics/skeptics/free thinkers. Most would go alone at this and you are trying to form a community of like-minded people.

With that said, there are some obvious ways to improve your idea. First is not use any Christian-esque or religious sounding language like "congregation" or "Minister". You don't want theists any grounds for saying that what you are talking about is essentially a faith, from their perspective. Because, of course, you aren't proposing a different faith, but an alternative to faith. So Atheistic Minister is a term that doesn't help your cause.

Another thing I would think about is the language you use and make sure it doesn't sound like that of a religion. Instead of "preach atheism", maybe say "talk atheism?" Talk sounds more informal and conversational as if between friends, instead of lecturing and what you hear at church on Sunday.

Someone said anti-religion religion. One way of avoiding this label is by encouraging comparative religious studies of the various world religions. You aren't acting like religions don't exist, but you recognize this and honestly, compassionately, respectfully, and reasonably try to study the world's religions. You can't be accused of the anti-religion religion label if you encourage your free thinker community to study all religions. A good start is Stepehn Prothero's God Is Not One.

One last thought I will share with you is how do you feel about the atheists who want to go at it alone and don't spend more than 30 seconds thinking about their lack of belief? Those might not be the type you are looking to attend your gathering of free thinkers, since they won't contribute much. Or they might.

I have more thoughts but I've already made this reply long enough, feel free to message me if you wish.

Thanks for the comments. Very helpful.

Preach sovereignty and respect (for yourself and others).

We should be able to own our own land, grow our own food, build our own houses and decide our policies as local groups. Preach against satellite dictatorship in the guise of 'capitalist democracy'. Preach for the personal verification of information and against advertising. Preach ingenuity and discovery, self-customization and harmony with our surroundings. Preach personal power and capability. Preach against absolutes, that to everything there is a season, preach awareness and practicality. Preach owning your mistakes.

😀

Spare me. You are creating an anti-religion religion? I left religion to escape the pressure of "true believer" congregations . And you are trying to create a new anti-religion dogma and creed? There is no way that your claim to be an atheist minister is legitimate. I reject ministers of all kinds.

Straight to the point and I like it. I was trying to find a nicer way to say the same thing. I do not want to be ministered to. My mind is my own and I'm not giving it away.

Where, in what I wrote, do you see dogma? I was actively avoiding it. How is encouraging community, free thought, and open discussion dogmatic?

I also never said anything about being and "anti-religion religion". I do not see this idea as a religious one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4720
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.