Agnostic.com

9 5

Which mountain sunrise photo do you like best?

On snowshoes, Karen and I arrived at Lanham Lake in December 2019. Sunrise was starting to peek over the ridge.

Thrilled, I rushed to take pictures. My favorite is the last one.

Which do you like best and why?

Am trying to chose my best hiking photo of 2019.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love the closeness of the first picture, and seeing the mountain so closely. .but I like the sun rising a little in each picture.. ( 2 and 3 ). The sun progressing... that is a special moment.

Number one.

First one.

I am curious if you have ever been taking pictures right before the sun comes over the rise. I was out taking pictures on morning and I had the camera set up and I just started clicking the shutter. I was not really paying attention but when I got back to my computer and looked at them I noticed the colors washed out as the sunlight became direct. Before this point the colors were more dynamic and full, the sun light when direct washed out these colors. I though it would work the other way. The pictures came out great, I would have to go through many to find them, someday I will find them and post them.

In order to retain the colours, you have to reduce the exposure dramatically as the sun comes up. Thus you retain vivid sky colours, but the landscape becomes very dark. If you have a means on your camera to reduce contrast, use it.
Finally, use a decent photo editor (I use Micrografx Picture Publisher, now defunct) to mask out the sky and then adjust the exposure of the foreground, but do not overdo it, or the landscape becomes grainy.

None, they all look too cold. The least "unlikable" one is the middle photo, but only if viewed from behind double glazing. 🤣🤣

Last one, best framing

@glenlab

Agreed.

I like the last one, can see the ull sun but it is still ramed by the mountain

They're all beautiful, but I like the last one best because of the contrast the sun provides. I like the middle one, too, but the tree seems more prominent in that one and detracts from the mountain.

Middle

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:472302
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.