Agnostic.com

16 2

Do humanimals have a propensity to be gullible?

Do you consider yourself an informed skeptic?

atheist 8 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the 2016 presidential election proved just how gullible far too many people are.
I am a confirmed skeptic. I trust nothing without verification.

I guess one of the basic qualities of the human is to gain information and process it and combine the data to understandable knowledge. Already in the early days it is discovered that it is easy to control other people by giving false information and present that info as unchangeable truthful. This proved the best way and prevent them to think for themselves and only process information that confirms the unchangeable truth. (People are very lazy by nature. Why do something yourself if someone else has done for you. That blocks free processing of data. Only some form of conversion can take away those filters of truth.

Gert Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

@ellerdor Well gullible by definition is someone who is easily duped or cheated. I don’t feel humans are by nature any one way or another when considering social exchanges. If I was going to make a nature/nurture argument, I would air on the side of DNA survival traits. Gullible won’t be one of them. More likely skepticism. ?

I was addressing a propensity to be situationally gullible when biases are challenged.

Well how gullible do you need to be to believe a gay white Jewish male like jesus could survive 23 years in palistine without being crusified much earlier? I think the stories have really been twisted somewhere somehow

As someone whose job involves much dialogue with voters, I'd say that most people display an inclination to be gullible in believing what political opponents put out about each other. It was initially surprising to find how many people are willing to suspend their disbelief when their political bias is challenged.

I think that humanimals tend to be lazy and want things to be told to them. How many religious people have actually read the book they supposedly believe in? I consider myself informed but on occasion give the wrong information.

I think the religions answer that very well.

Perhaps until they've been sufficiently burned.

I don't know, for a clearer definition I looked it up. The word gullible is not in the dictionary, or in any of the online versions. It must have slipped through the net.

@atheist Many I guess, but they are probably in church.

If by humanimal, you mean human animal, I have to go with '' oh hell yeah'' .. just look at how many believe in a god.

What makes you ask that question? Thanks.

Interesting. I just have a reaction to the gullible label. It seems so needlessly value laden. Especially when contrasted against skeptic.

@arca2027, "needlessly"...how so?

I can only speak for myself. As a young men, I was often gullible. Today, I have healthy skepticism, but not cynicism.

Well I hope I am not the only one.... I know I tend to be to trusting in general which makes me suspicious and grouchy leading to feeling guilty for griping at someone who didnt deserve it.... repeat.

Girl! I am the same way!

On my profile I have it listed that I am a skeptic.

I think humans have a propensity to be intellectually lazy, leading to gullibility.

@atheist eh, idk if I’d call in responsibility, maybe opportunity?

I think it often comes down to trust. Gullible people are, typically, just too trusting, imho.

If something sounds too good to be true then it usually isn't true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47287
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.