Agnostic.com

2 0

Entropic musings

In keeping with the 2nd law of thermodynamics, the universe at 10 to the negative 43 seconds after the big bang would have been at its lowest entropy. I would be interested in hearing others’ thoughts on the implications of this relative to consciousness. Specifically consciousness as inherent to the faculties of thought, comprehension, imagination, and memory.

mrdunn 5 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Two implications. First, that our mere existence is due to the sheer randomness of bounded chaos. Second, that our consciousness is the accidental result of that vast scale chaotic dynamic. Third, that random chaos will eventually consume our planet and us, and there will eventually be no trace that human consciousness every existed.

@wordywalt

that seems somewhat nihilistic to me wordywalt. Do you think life has evolved in other parts of the universe?

Yes, life has probably evolved elsewhere. To me, I'm just being realistic.

I'm glad I've had a couple of glasses of wine and studied thermodynamics as part of my degree! Yes, the universe has become more chaotic with the passage of time, but I also believe that evolution has kept life in lock-step else we and other living creatures would not exist. Although, of course, the level of consciousness and associated faculties varies with the given species.

I would love to discuss this over a beer or three πŸ™‚ But I believe that "evolution" and associated attributes (including consciousness) would have to be my answer on this.

@zanyfish

thanks zanyfish. Am I correct in my understanding that what you are saying is that evolution is necessary for consciousness to manifest?

I think so, but we'd need to agree on the meaning of "consciousness" first πŸ™‚

My meaning is sentience in general, but more specifically, the ability to create works of art, music, poetry, the ability to develop mathematics and language, to think in the abstract, to comprehend the realities of things, to imagine and invent, and to remember.

Do you think these abilities emerge as the result of evolution? Or do they exist in potential but require evolution to occur in order for them to manifest?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4747
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.