Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Health department revoked diagnosis of teen who reportedly died of COVID-19 - Business Insider

Someone posted a similar article a few days ago. (I didn't mean to steal the topic; I simply couldn't find the original post - sorry.)

An uninsured 17-year-old in Los Angeles County who died on March 18 was turned away from an urgent-care center before rushing to a public hospital, according to Lancaster, California, Mayor R. Rex Parris.

I challenged my Republican acquaintances on social media. My, my, they showered me with hundreds of words to justify why the teen had to be turned away. Some even suggested that it was the teen's fault that he turned up at a wrong medical center. Even if that was the case, they could at least have arranged an ambulance to take him to hospital quickly. But the Republicans are not having any of "could haves". The teen was uninsured - tough. He turned up at a wrong medical center - tough. Very harsh. Then, they blame the left - of course. It's fake news!

In countries like Denmark, the UK, France, etc., I'm sure that no sick person would be denied of treatment purely because they don't have health insurance. They wouldn't be deciding whether a sick person should be treated or not on the basis of whether this person is insured or not. They would probably send a bill afterwards if the person doesn't have national health insurance, but surely saving the life of this person comes first. Or am I naive to think this way? My Republican acquaintances probably think so. Mind you, apart from different views in politics, they are good people.

I believe that among the developed countries, the US is the only one which still doesn't have a universal healthcare system in place. Why is it that the Republicans are so stubbornly against the idea of universal healthcare system? Can't they genuinely get their heads around to the idea, which can only be a good thing IMO?

Jetty 7 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How can you say they're good people with thinking like that? They're fascists like their spoiled brat president.

It because we have PUBLIC hospitals and PRIVATE Hospitals.
I HOPE the outbreak illustrates to all Americans how unjust and NON FUNCTIONAL such a system is in crisis.

Urgent Care is for lacerations, broken bones, tummy aches. Period!
Last April I was turned away from Urgent Care and told with words & a written form to "Go IMMEDIATELY to an ER"
Where i was Ct-scanned & MRI'd and told I might be on the Lifestar helicopter.
I had & have plenty of insurance, Urgent Care never even asked about it after hearing my symptoms, they were way beyond their capabilities.
This thing going around the internet is TOTAL BS

Oh what a truly wonderful definition of "Urgent Care" you have given imho.
I now ask you this, IF suffering from a disease such as Covid19 does NOT fit into the "Urgent Care" Category then WHERE exactly does it fit?
What real value does America then place upon a human life?

@Triphid you are an IDIOT, I tell you the exact same thing happened to me last Spring and you cannot stop ranting on your wrong-headed theme? Why not Google "Urgent Care"??? Do you know how to do that? They have no isolation areas, no ventilators, no labs, no Ct scanners, not even drugs, they can only write Rx's, none of what this guy needed. So, I guess they should have let him stay & die instead of PROPERLY routing him to a place he might have had a chance getting the care he needed? NOTHING TO DO WITH INSURANCE, EVERYTHING TO DO WITH CAPABILITY OF THE FACILITY!

@AnneWimsey That may be so in America, sadly and unfortunately, but at least here in Australia things are 100% different and better since here, even in a G.P.'s Surgery "Urgent Care" no matter what the problem is MEANS simply, "Hit the decks a-running" and get done what HAS TO BE done ASAP.
But that, imho, is because WE have a Universal Health Care System that places LIVES above Profits for the Private Health Insurance Companies.
So who are the 'idiots' now then.
Oh, and hope you EGO has had its boost for the day also.

@Triphid you are a complete idiot, and a nasty one....my ego, unlike yours, acknowledges facts. Ranting about what you are ignorant of makes you look exactly what you are, a fool. And condemning all of the US, when many of us have been working hard to get better health care is just pathetic. Is there a facility is your country where they can fix "ugly insides"????? Go there now!

@AnneWimsey Aw, don't go getting your knickers in twist, it CAN harm certain body parts.
Plus, FYI, Sarcasm and Insults are the lowest form of with and the last resort of the fool.

@Triphid Really? I feel it is an art form, one I have assiduously cultivated over the years, and I know it is effective when people like you stoop to remarks like that.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:477880
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.