Agnostic.com

6 7

LINK Submariners might not know about coronavirus or a global pandemic

This may seem like a ho-hum story...until you read it. I can't even imagine what these men and women will experience when they finally surface, into a very changed and sickly world. The shock, the potential losses, they may not even be able to go home, as they'll be certainly unexposed.

Things we don't ordinarily think about ... submarine life. 🤔🤔🤔

SeaGreenEyez 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is possible the majority of crew BUBBLEHEADS we black shoe Navy called them ...many aboard a submarine are not told of routine communication submerged....much of which is classified as to how and if they are communicating submerged so boats sail for 3 weeks usually rarely submerged for record months ....some climb to periscope depth to take on fresh air new ballast flushing human waste etc.....so if a crew sailed early March and surfaced this month to send home emails or listen to music radio they may be exposed to the new narrative of quarantine and closed saloons & movie theaters back home.....Captains and quarterdeck personnel hear or read constant communication and virus protocols have been Navy wide since February as with any disease aboard submarines entire crews are examined by HMs doctors and division officers for standard physical fitness....sailors DO NOT REQUEST PERMISSION TO COME ABOARD knowingly sick or disabled

We all live in a yellow submarine 😊

They have communication

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 30, 2020

I think submarines have progressed a lil' beyond WWII status..

In younger days I used to chuckle to myself about marines that were being dominated ...

This article displays a woeful ignorance about submarines...they are in constant contact with the world, otherwise how would they know to launch their missiles? The Captain might keep info to himself, of course, IMO a kindness in this case. And No deployment is longer than 8 months, sometimes less, each sub has 2 crews to minimize port time and keep the crews mentally healthy. I live in Groton, CT, Submarine Capitol of the World, have many friends on subs, and built subs for 13 years, so I do know what I am talking about.

@SeaGreenEyez French submarines? Geebus, mostly old diesels, they have no nuclear sub program. Diesels have to surface all the time or everybody inside dies of carbon monoxide poisoning. While cruising on the surface to replace oxygen (hours! they can use their cell phones

@SeaGreenEyez huh. I had no idea they had nuckes........guess I should pay more attention, lol!

@SeaGreenEyez two meanings: one, nuclear-powered, meaning self-contained & do not have to surface, unlike diesel-powered (the original kind) that Must get fresh air regularly & often. There are 2 kinds of nuclear-powered subs, "attack boats", which seek out other watercraft & destroy them with torpedoes, can carry amphibious landing assault teams, etc, and, second, ones that carry quite a few nuclear missiles, ready to launch. These are considered the world's peacekeepers as, unlike missle silos, in Iowa (well-mapped by spies!) they can be anywhere & thus can retaliate against an attack.

@SeaGreenEyez It takes a special type of person, submariners undergo a lot of psychological testing before being chosen.

@SeaGreenEyez Brits deploy aboard USA vessels and vive versa USN personnel deploy aboard Her MagestyS ShipS boatS out of Londonderry Trident Nuke boats carry missiles with MIRVs multiple reentry vehicle warheads that launch from launch depth

Thanks for a view from a different perspective. I appreciate something different now and then as a respite from the constant dichotomy discussion about Trump [not that he doesn't deserve it]. There are so many ways we live out lives and thinking about those out of touch is something I had not done before this reading. Expanding awareness is one reason i like this place.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:477967
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.