Agnostic.com

6 0

Recently I came across an Anti Vaccination campaign.

In Kerala(India) , where I live , Rubella vaccination is taken up by the Government and its campaign is done by students and Doctors and Social workers.

But a group of well organised people campaigned against the vaccination that it is the Government's plan to control population.

"Vaccines affects your reproduction capacity."
Some propogate that all vaccines are created by America to control the Muslim population.

And sadly people do believe in these.
In a certain district only 60% of kids took vaccine.

What is your take on this?

Can we call these people anti social? Or are they justified???

ArjunMahesh 5 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's no justification for it. If it were up to me, no one would be allowed to opt out of vaccinations (aside from legitimate medical reasons). I consider it borderline child abuse.

But can a govt mandate vaccines???

Vaccination certificates should be mandatory for getting admission in Schools for children.

Unfortunately, you cannot reason wih the irrational.

Breaking the scientific illiteracy problem only weakens our cause. It dilutes people into smaller groups and almost removes the “big picture...

Even the use of words like “anti-GMO”, “anti-Vaccine”, weakens the effort of educating the public. It makes it very easy to cherry pick which parts of science we “believe in”. Science is a method.

As scientists, we have done a very poor job indeed educating the public. We are paying the price. Only with increased education about science on a large scale can we hope to bring people up to a level of scientific competence where they will not welcome conspiracies and magic to answer their questions...

True... In my place Kerala Science Literature Federation with a motto of "Science for social revolution" conducted a week long Science Rally all over the state.

Initiatives are being taken. It was well received.

If I am right, there was a campaign against vaccination for Diphtheria as well. My take on this is simple. The people who campaign against it ARE anti social. They base their comments and judgement on a wave of religiously/politically motivated propaganda, thereby directly risking the health and life of thousands of children. It is sad to see that people are more concerned about the flight of cows in the country rather than to stem the spread of such kind of ill-informed and detrimental campaigns.

I was hoping that particular brand of Hindutva inspired woo had passed Kerala by, Kerala being probably the most sensibly governed state in India.

Yeah governments are fine in Kerala.

And also hindus are not violent about their beliefs.
Right wing organisations are trying to unify ann hindus and make them fight, but in vain so far.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4805
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.