Agnostic.com

12 9

Awakened with a fix to a problem. Any suggestions?

On medical masks I have been sewing, after a week the florist wire bends into scallops inside the bias tape, making it harder to smooth over your nose.

It's because the wire is spring-loaded, machine-wrapped tightly around a small piece of metal.

New idea! With the sewing machine, I did zig-zag stitching over the wire to hold it in place. The challenge is to straighten the wire as I sew. It tends to bend.

Also cut eight-inch lengths ahead of time, straightening them as much as possible. Hope they will relax over time.

We'll see it it works.

Any suggestions?

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This morning, I moved the bias tape with wire to the top. It works better that way. Made this mask for my daughter Claire's male friend. Does it look masculine enough?

Thank you for doing this!

I'm no tailor but with some advice from my mom, I made a few of the rectangular ones for my son. I don't have wire/pipe cleaners, so I put one pleat long ways (ear to ear). I then put two little "v" pleats (maybe a quarter inch) with the folds going towards the nose and only on the top side.
This seemed to help pull the top down from his eyes and it appeared to fit more snug on the top side.

Let me know if it helps.

@cimoore34

Will you please post a picture of your son wearing the mask? It's hard to visualize.

@LiterateHiker will be tomorrow, but gladly. The Star Wars themes material may make it hard to see. Lol.

@LiterateHiker not sure how well it shows up, but the two pleats help form a trapezoid over the nose.

@cimoore34

Thank you! The two pleats show up well.

I want to buy a plague doctor mask and wear a mask under it. I haven't done it for two reasons: 1) it will freak people out and I might get assaulted in my small republican town, and 2) they're too expensive to make a the point that the idiot-in-chief is going to kill us all with his incompetence.

There are people in DC in need of this.

Requests for homemade medical masks are pouring in.

Just spent two hours tearing apart, shortening the elastic, and resewing a mask I made for a man. He has small ears.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Brilliant idea. great contribution to others too.

Glad to see that you're bringing up this concern here. Hopefully we fellow heathens can help you to the best of our ability!

I am simply wrapping a silk scarf around my face ... works pretty well

Ooooh, and color coordinated too - 😉

Good ideas! You are creative

@BudFrank

Thank you.

"I am a great problem-solver," I told my daughter Claire. "Learned at the feet of the Master: my mother."

"Absolutely," she replied. "And I learned from you."

@LiterateHiker good skills to have during the apocalypse

You can cut thin strips from tin cans using strong scissors, rub them on sand paper to smooth the sharp edges, ( very important ) and use those as soft bendable metal strips for sowing in seams.

@Fernapple

Too dangerous. I'd cut up my hands.

It's a creative idea, though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:480590
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.