Agnostic.com

14 1

Do you think religions were crucial part of human evolution ?

The least religions could do was to organize people into communities who were previously savage nomads. Whatever religion did, but it was a crucial part of our evolution, and now due to the same evolution we don't need religions. We're much better without it.

sourceofdesire 6 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is a study which showed birds that would get food pellets via a tapping a level. However whether or not moving the lever actually dropped a pellet was controlled by a random number generator and had nothing to do with what the birds did. The birds devloped sometimes very elaborate rituals of turning several times, bobbing its head and spreading its wings and/or tail feathers, trying to get the lever to work. When it did work, soem birds would repeat the rituals before pressing the lever.

I think we are programmed to associate certain actions with rewards. If there is an actaul association between the actions and rewards, then it insures our survival. However, we oftne associate some rewards to actions which have no relationship to the reward. Thus, the roots of religion were born. Add in a few con men and the picture is almost completed in its entirety.

Only in the sense that they are obstacles to natural evolution. That is religions prevent us from acting in truly natural and adaptive manners in dealing with our environment.

If you really mean 'evolution', then you have it backwards. Our evolution was a critical part of the origin of religion. Also, if we hadn't wandered in small groups of 15 to 20 individuals in the early days, we would not be here today. It was a matter of survival.

I understand your question, but I wouldn't use the word "evolution." I assume you mean something more like "human progress." And when you say "crucial," are you saying that without religion, early civilizations may have failed? That's a good question.

I don't think that religion is something that came along and "happened" to people, I think it was born from every person's wonder, awe, and fear of the world, and morphed into large belief structures. I don't think it was as much "crucial" as it was inevitable.

I do think we're better with humanism as a belief structure, but I don't really consider that a religion. So, I think I'm agreeing with you 🙂

Evolution is a biological function. Religion has no impact on that.

GwenC Level 7 Nov 23, 2017

Evolution does first speak to biology but the concept is true for other evolutions of ideas and, concepts. Thus society and culture evolves no less than biology. Thus, evolution does speak to changes within our society and even how we observe self.

In short, I would argue that religion played a key role in helping us to evolve in how we observe ourselves and our environment.

Note: I am not saying there is a god. I AM saying that we have been shaped by how we observe and worship the concept of a god, or a set of gods.

I would say that religion/s were and are part of mankind lack of advance.

Yes I think human evolution could well have had the religious element present. After all Here was a scary literally dog eat dog nascent society that was petrified of the dark the wild beasts and some mad God (S) ! Band-wagoners scammers and outright money-grabbers of cose have now taken over! Now religion is organised just like crime which is its faithful brother!

at this point in my life i am still confused

I think so

Religion was never needed! It just slowed the natural evolution process by throwing doubt and disorganisation into the mix. Pretty much like governments carry on doing!

The presence of a tail bone and appendix generally implies that there was an evolutionary purpose. Religion probably had an evolutionary purpose.

I've studied human anthropology a bit, and some experts in the field think that religion and language evolved together, which makes sense to me... As our brains started to form complex thoughts, so did abstract questions about cause and effect. So they created gods of rain and sun to explain their experiences. The rest is history.

I agree. Abstract questions led to imagination and storytelling.

Where there are opportunities there are opportunists who will take advantage. Storytellers were seen as intuitive or wise men and gained a following. Storytelling turned into sets of morals and values that led to control and the beginnings of a religion.

Religions misguided the evolution.. Numerous wars are fought on this grounds..

I think people grouped together into societies because agricultural became a way of life. But with human nature as it is (i.e. someone always feels the need to dominate or have something over others) It seems like there's no way we could have avoided religion because is the perfect way to subjugate a massive amount of people.

Agriculture was introduced less than 12000 Yrs.
People lived n colonies and groups well before that.
Hunting was the primary reason for colonization.
Where family systems got introduced to own a woman/man and avoid others to disturb.

For some reason, your reply doesn't have a "Like" button, so... LIKE!

It has recently been suggested that the change from being nomads, to a settled agricultural society was because they wanted to brew beer. Works for me. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.