Agnostic.com

3 2

Why the diminished hours?

I don’t think I even questioned it at first, it was just something the stores were doing to combat the corona virus. I couldn’t go to the bank today because they didn’t open till after my job started. It made me think.

Everyone that has to go to the bank will still have to go to the bank. They will just have to adjust the time they go. Same for grocery stores, gas stations, and whatever else is open.
So 100 people have to go to the bank today , that won’t change. But NOW instead of those 100 people spread out over 9 hours they are squished into 7 hours. It’s actually causing increased chance for infection, not lessening it.
My question is WHAT are the reasons given for diminishing hours of operation? Was this something suggested by experts with good reason or just something panicking people did on their own? Anyone know?

(Edit: sorry if any of ya had to see ten postings of the question. My phone freaked out on me)

JacobMeyers 6 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is this an Academic (e.g., Science) question?

Word Level 8 Apr 11, 2020

Everything is empty! No, people are Not squashing into things, they are using the ATM, drive-thru, or online for banking shopping, ordering take out & etc.
Probably because they don't want to drag home a virus that kills, and can be infectious for 2 weeks before symptoms start...how about you?
And, BTW, how would you like to be a grocery store employee right now?

If you search for my other recent post you’ll see I’m not happy to be working right now while many people are off with paid leave. Many making more than their regular wage. I do understand that service employees are getting the most potential exposure to covid19. That’s not what my post was about though. I’m just wondering how closing an hour early and opening an hour late is helping. On its surface it’s intuitive enough but when I think deeper I’m just not seeing the reason. No one seems to have a solid reason for doing it. Just conjecture so far. Conjecture on my part too I realize but, that is why I’m looking for solid answers.

. . . perhaps the number of available employees is diminished 😮

Yeah merchants might have to adjust hours for that. At least in my area though all the normal workers are in attendance. Are there restricted business hours where you are?

@JacobMeyers . . . no idea 😛

@FearlessFly good job. I wish I could get myself in a position where I didn’t have to know😀

@FearlessFly Here in CT non essentials are completely closed. Groceries & pharmacies are limiting the number of people that can be inside at one time, one person per cart and if they can, separate exits & entrances, with no-contact # counters at each.

@AnneWimsey . . . right, but he/I were talking about banks . . .

@FearlessFly ATM or drive up. My credit union lets one person in at a time...with diminished hours. And the parking lot is Empty all the time, maybe 2 employee cars. ( i live right down the street)

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:483077
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.