Agnostic.com

13 5

Anyone here belong to a parody/mock religion?

For me it's Dudeism, an upshot of the movie "The Big Lebowski" where Jeff Bridges plays "the Dude". A drunk travel writer in Thailand watched the movie in a bar and thought - "Hey, I can make a religion out of this!" I am indeed an ordained Dudeist priest... Lol.

Hominid 7 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I liked the movie, but have never been into making "idols" out of characters or celebrities. I worked as an "extra" on movies and TV shows for about 10 years and met a l0go of celebrities and I dont' see why people are so enamored.

I did like the Cohen brothers film though. Although I like some of their other films more, like "Raising Arizona" "Fargo", "Miller's Crossing", "Oh Brother, Where Art Though" and "Barton Fink". "The Big Lebowski" was good too, but not their best work.

It's the furthest thing from idolatry... and /or being enamored by the cast of a movie. Maybe you're missing the point of harpooning religion.

Here in the Philippines I belong to The League of Transverse Souls, The Church of The Free Spiirit (where you buy1 and take 1 bottle free), The Congregation of Disoriented Souls, and The Inner Galactic Soul Maniacs ( sort of exclusive dating and mix and match community in the flesh)

Yeah, I belong to several of them, but to me they are as useless as mainstream religions. I do think dudeism is cool though.

Their uselessness is partly why they exist!

I am also a Dude. 😉

Imagine if someone turned Barney's (From how I met your mother) New York League of Players into a religion where b-romance would blossom, suits would be adorned and instead of a church, everybody met in a bar on a Sunday morning to share a drink, eat lunch and discuss the intricacies of how to please ones woman.

I am ordained in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Look no further mister. You have found the one true religion which does not cause you worries.

DINKOISM

I have shown you the path of Nirvana...

As per the rules of Dinkoism, I am not permitted to urge you into this or knock on your doors.

Search for yourself...

You got me laughing...

Laughter is the best medicine....
Masha Dinka

Dudeism and pastafarianism are both great. Don't forget about Satanism.

There is a Church of Satan legitimately registered in San Francisco. I'm not sure if that's where the country rock band The Eagles got their inspiration for their song "Hotel California"

Looking at the question: What is your motive in wanting to?

I get to harpoon serious religionists. And call my self "The Rev".

When I was 20-21 me and a group of friends made up a mock religion based on Elvis as a Christ figure we called it the Memphis Mafia Church of Latter Day Elvis. "The King of kings, of the Rock n' roll on high, blessed be your guitar that bathes us in your holy song. You were a hound dog crying all the time for our sins in the Heartbreak Hotel. Give us our big hunk o' love and deliver us not into a devil in disguise. May yourest forever in your Blue Hawaii. In Elvis' name we pray, thank you very much." 😛

Lol this is amazing!

MrLizard Yes it was Fat Elvis we worshiped, sitting high upon his porcelain throne, and thus we should feel forever humbled he died upon it for our sins. lmao

I too am an ordained Dudeist minister.

... I still don't know what I want to be labeled. I sorta liking "chaos eater." Most look at me as agnostic but I pressure myself to think more atheist. However I can't fit my head around the word atheist as it looks funny.

I don't belong, but I'm interested in the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4837
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.