Agnostic.com

5 2

Former Mormons: What broke your shelf?

waterjack 4 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hey waterjack. What happened to your head? Isis? (dash)

promises made by mankind

Rosh Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

I never felt accepted by church members. Peopel at the church were aquaintances, but none of them were ever my friends. So, leavging was not that hard for me.

I always had doubts. I mean once th efantasy of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny was broken, I no longer trusted blindly what adults were telling me. Prayer never seemed to help anything, and felt liek a waste of time.

When I was 16 going on 17, I traveled to Asia. Beign out of hte country with peoel who weren't Mormon really made me realize just how sheltered my life had been.

Of couse i also remember when I was 6, my oldest brother go ta job and he no longer had to go to church on Sunday because he worked. I planned at 6 that i woudl do the same thing, so I would no longer have to go to church too.

So, kind of many things piling up.

It wasn't until after i left the church that I foudn otu all the things the Book oif Mormon got wrong. Such as Native Americans never used money (coins), horses were not Native to the Americas, but were introduced by Spanish exploers who let them loose befor ereturning home, whet and rye are not native to the Americas, but were broght by Euroupeans, there was no demesticated cattle in the Americas befor europeans brougyht them, Native Americans had no metal weapons at all, no bronze or iron, elephants were nto present durign the time period when the Book of Mormon supposedly took place, chariots didn't work as transport for natives, becaus the ground was unsuited (although contrary to popular belief they did have the wheel). There are no writings of pre-Europeans which even slightly resemble teh written hebrew language. DNA of Native Americans is most closely related to the peopel found in Tibet. Also, the religion of hte thuder gods of Southwest native Americans is vasically the same as the relgions of pre-Busshist Tiber.

As for the Bible, the old testament is a combination of at least four identifiable pre-existign religions of that tiem period, where they attempted to amek four (or more) religions into a single narrative.

So, after leavign the Mormon church, my atheism has oinly grown stronger.

I was a convert that didn't take. I went to services and the rest of the group totally ignored me. Not being made to feel welcome has the effect of "They don't want me." It was a good thing because I started to look into the history of the church from the point of view of outsiders to the faith. It didn't take long to see what a charlatan and conman that Joe Smith was.

Yeah, They taught me as a child that Joseph Smith and his followers kept moving around to avoid religious persecution, but you can now easily look it up on the internet and they kept moving around because Joseph Smith was fleeing arrest warrants.

What happened to your head in your avatar?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48444
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.