Agnostic.com

5 1

No, everything does not happen for a reason.

This is the most infuriating response to suffering that I hear frequently from Christians. Because somehow their god will get glory out of even the worst situations... oh what comfort! sarcasm

It is actually so crass and such a copout. So how do you respond? It seems like I should let them know I can see through their easy-way-out answer.

riariveter 5 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You have to make or find the reason. It isn't just there.

explain definition of happenstance and offer that no one has solved the puzzle of anticipating the result of 3 random objects in space and their relation ship to each other after one second

You do that and you'll end up hurting someone without meaning to. Faith is something that's impressed upon us right from childhood and most of us forget to question it. It is the last resort for them to fall back on when nothing works out or something unexpected happens.
You take that away and it creates an all consuming void. I'd rather you ease them into reality of space and time. Be patient.

Sujoy Level 1 Nov 23, 2017

In my line of work--psychotherapy--it is actually a professional ethics violation to seek to "convert" any patient from one belief system to another. I have to be very cognizent of that. I have totally lost count of the number of patients who came in totally distraught at some tragedy or other, only to struggle even more with the dubious mission of wringing some sense of reason or divine plan out of horrible suffering. Some get very angry at "God" and others decide they must have done something to deserve this "lesson." They can get really down on themselves, insisting on searchimg for meaning out of suffering and destruction. One thing I have done with Christian patients is to point them to the book of Job as a lesson in the futility of trying to decifer a logical plan from chaotic or destructive events. There is a Biblical passage that says humans will never understand the mind of God. I use that as a basis to suggest that if there is a divine plan, there is no reason to expect events to make any sense to us, no matter how much we want to believe. That leads to the idea that trying to keep some sort of cosmic score card of "fairness" just leads to frustration, disappointment and resentment. Better to focus on recognizing the good stuff in life to be appreciative of, and to file the pain and suffering bits away under "shit happens." ***Of course what I WANT TO tell them is that Job is an example of just how petty and caprecious the Judeo Christian God character is and therefore bogus.

If you believe in determinism, then everything does have a reason, just not a purpose; everything has a cause.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4846
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.