Agnostic.com

4 0

There is no god in my life because I believe that the universe is a self-sufficient entity as are all its parts. Everything in the universe is animated by genes or analogous things that have animating and shaping powers. It is my firm belief that the universe does not need an external superfluous entity to ensure the perpetuity of the beautiful nature.

evhemere3000 3 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was caught off guard by the reactions to my previous post. Then I will reformulate it.

I should not have used metaphors. A metaphor is a figure of speech in which a name or quality is attributed to something to which it is not literally applicable, e.g. "the genes of the universe" for "the causes of the universe". I did not foresee that some people might be allergic to metaphors.

Too many details lead to confusion. Therefore, I will leave exploration of the universe to scientists with feet solidly anchored to the earth crust.

As for me, I will be fully satisfied with

AN ACT OF FAITH

The universe is a self-perpetuating entity that does not owe its existence to an external cause.
Invent such a cause if you wish and call it God, if the use of such an empty word will make you more happy.

‘Firm beliefs’ are always a bit tenuous. Good luck with that one!

Thank you for your good wishes!

I guess/suppose one could define "animating" to include plate tectonics and life/evolution of stars, but I wouldn't.

What causes it all? What’s the basis of nature?

Hello William! How are you? Please tell me. Is Unity of Dothan somewhat similar to the Unitarian Church? Your God appears to be more sympathetic than that bizarre guy in the sky.

@evhemere3000 Well, I have stopped going to Unity, but I am in accord with what they teach. No, it is not very much like Unitarianism, except that neither requires belief in a creed. The New Thought churches draw from Hindu philosophy and Buddhism, as well as Christianity and other religions. They do speak of God, but they see ourselves as extensions or expressions of God. True to its name, Unity respects all people and all paths.

Do not think of me as a cookie cutter copy of Unity. I went there mainly for social interaction and for mental and spiritual stimulation, and was not disappointed.

Unitarianism is more secular—atheists feel at home there, and they are deeply into politics and social activism, while Unity is all about spirituality—deep awareness, appreciation and reverence for the great mystery of nature and our conscious role in reality.

I am faring well. Tell me about yourself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:485551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.