Agnostic.com

74 13

Men, do you agree with this quote from Christopher Hitchens?

During an interview, Hitchens said:

"Men need women and they don't like the fact that they need them. They have experienced disgust about this fact."

VictoriaNotes 9 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

74 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good Grief. There is no other option for procreation. Of course men need women. You go ahead and 'hate needing women', Hitchens. I'll just keep on accepting reality for what it is...and loving it.

It most certainly cannot apply to all men; it's a gross oversimplification/generalization. I'm thinking there's some projection going on here. He's excused for making such a statement, as human relationships are not (as far as I know) part of his wheelhouse; I suspect he is overstepping his area of expertise.

I know men that don't need women. So there, Hitch! 😉

No one is right every time we need women but i do not find this a problem.

Many things Hitch and I disagreed upon he wanted to save the Kurds from Saddam supporting Tony Blair invading Iraq so much for war wisdom and of course I don't smoke Marlboros and feel just fine about women. .... moving on to religions and alleged gawds we both bat 1000%

I don't think, or maybe I should say, it's hard to tell, if this guy knew what he believed. His history on every level was full of swing and flip developed opinions that resemble a confused mad man. Leaving me to a developing opinion he could be easily swayed by who he was associating with at the time, possibly for use to make that next buck until they no longer were of use. In which he then swings to the opposite and starts again. His political history is his most telling tell of that nature. Seemingly never able to stick to one measure of an agenda, but what fits for the moment, possibly only his present agenda. Which could actually be a brilliant plan that had lead to his successful career. Possibly recognizing the current mind set of the population, which is being managed by a large part, and at that present time using it to his advantage. Whether it's man and woman, man and man, woman and woman, or any other combination, as a social being most of us simply have a natural desire for companionship. The book being talked about was merely 1 aspect of religious views towards men and women he put his opinion on from various religions. I'd suggest he didn't do much 1 on 1 research discussions within those religions, seemingly only from some personal self obscured developed opinion. 1 man among many who would, or should, shutter at that description of humanities natural desire for companionship.

I think men do need women. However, I never before heard the statement that men are disgusted with this fact. I can’t recall anyone overtly stating this “disgust” but he makes a good case for it though. I think he suggests that it is, in part, subconscious. and manifests itself in religion. In my view, it also manifests in other areas of society. Hitch has always held firmly to the notion that only the empowerment of women, and in particular the power to control their own reproductive life, will bring about an end to poverty. “Man made religion” seems diametrically opposed to this and now we can see why. Yes?

I think it is very true that men use religion to control women but I also think that there are men that don't know better

I was never able to access the video link on my phone but I did find a computer and saw it. I think Hitch is right and men have disguised their resentment for their need of women. I could see it in the way my dad treated my mom and his dead brother's daughter. I can see it in most social institutions. I think it's very obvious. I wish I had some training in anthropology and sociology but I don't so maybe that's the limit of my ability to try and describe how that resentment is manifested.

well I certainly don't get disgusted but I would agree that men need women for a variety of reasons. Personally I enjoy the relationship both emotional and physical.

Can't say I agree with the statement. Women brighten up the worlds and the world quite rightly depends on women.

For sure without a doubt, insecure men.

I can't see the clip, so I can't really react on what he says, but aren't we evolved as male and female, just as most animals are? So, to reproduce they are depending on each other. Do they really need each other for the rest, or said different, do they need the other to be able to survive? I don't think so. Male are often stronger an female are often smarter (I don't mean more intelligent than the other), so both benefit from forming a team, but in general "smart goes over strength". Unless the female has never been allowed to solve problems, to learn, has been suppressed, the can do quite well without the male. Why do you think that all those religions tend to suppress the development of women? They once must have been aware of the fact that women would outsmart men if they let them.

Gert Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

Men control women IMO because they can't make humans without them ... theoreticaly women could "milk" men now freeze the sperm and just bump us all off. If women ran the world would it be a warmongering shit tip ? These are the questions that come back to me.

Men try to control women as they are threatened. Some men 😉

I honestly think (like all "resource" ) women have been subjugated to this as without them men / humanity is esentially f*cked. Without men the world might be a whole lot more peaceful. That is what i think.

I would like to think things would be more peaceful /benevolent with women in charge but then Margaret Thatcher comes to mind

@btroje She was a woman with a dick and male hormones - or a big dildo one of the two

I honestly don't think she counts being so far up the Conservative Uk establishments ass pipe she virtually cleans the queens teeth lol !!! 🙂)))))) X She was not human never mind female lol ..

@Nickbeee she was a woman and a person really can't generalize along those lines.

Hmmmm. Men and women need each other to sustain the species. Other than that, I don't think there is anything I can do that a woman can't.

I don't like being needed, nor do I like to need someone.

So without watching the video, disagree.

I think when pertaining to the influence of religion on Men and women then this is a very true statement a lot of the time.

@VictoriaNotes So I have an impulse to "own" women? I'm sure someone would point out how I really do do this, but I'm not seeing it. I've been jealous before. Does that count?

@phil21 ever slut shamed a woman for her sexual history,mode of dress or anything really? Then yes.

@VictoriaNotes agree, yes

@Blindbird Hmmm. Third start on this. No, I do not recall slut shaming a woman for her sexual history. I am pro choice, and believe a woman can do with her body as she wishes. As long as there is consent between the parties involved. I am incredibly envious of anyone having an active sex life. Caveat: I've been married a looooong time. It is is possible I did this at one time, like in the last century.

I do NOT agree with this.

Why do I feel like this is a trick question? ? All I want to say, he was a great journalist, gone too soon and deeply missed. Cheers !!

Not sure what did I do... I thought I wrote/sent a response but cannot see it. Oh well... I wasn't pushing your buttons, at least not intentionally

Here it goes one more time, the missing reply: Some will agree, others will disagree and yet there is a third category for the ones who don't really care. That's where I stand. Anyway, I hope we both will agree on the fact that Hitchens was a complex man, so who really knows what was going through his mind when he said that. Best regards

I need a woman and don't see why that's such a big deal. I feel this deeply from a pragmatic place. Life is just nowhere near as fulfilling without touch, love, sex, and even just feminine presence. Just a fact!

The most I’d agree with are the first three words.

PDF Level 5 July 12, 2018

I think Hitchens meant that this is a subconscious phenomena as evidenced by the religious patriarchal obsession with virgin births. Gods were so born this way tracing back 3000 BC. I won’t say “not all men” feel this way. That would get me crucified?. I will speak only for myself and say “not this man”.

Markus Level 7 July 12, 2018

I suspect Hitchens is right about this ... and since this phenomena would seem to be almost universal (not confined to our Abrahamic cultures), surely it must have it's cause in the natural evolution of our species?
Is it true, or are there cultures in which it is not generally true?
If it is generally true of all human cultures, then perhaps the male child needs to be rejected at some time in his relationship with his mother to become emotionally, a man. One thinks of Spartan mothers sending their sons at seven to military training, proud that they might die in battle for their City State.
Do mothers innately recognise this necessity and set about rejecting their sons at some point?
I certainly remember when my mother "let me go". I was about 10 or 11 ... and she told me I had to "get on with it" ("it" being my struggles at school with both the work and bullying boys). I felt abandoned and lost and altho’ I know she knew, she did not come to my rescue. Much later, I realised how much she watched over me without interference, and that it must have pained her.
I did eventually learn to succeed in a man's world - resentfully and painfully!
I suspect that the mother/son emotional rending stage, which has powerful if subliminal elements of sexual rejection too, may be what causes men to feel disgust for their need of their mothers and all women.
Fortunately for me, it did not turn me against the female gender .. I have always found women both essential and desirable socially, emotionally and sexually - altogether much more important to me than the company of men.
If I enter a room and only men are in it, my heart sinks! ... what the hell am I going to talk about?
If there are women in the room ... whew!!
I suspect that I am only slightly unusual in this way ... altho' many men panic at the sight of a roomful of women and would be happier with "the lads" for company, they do deeply appreciate their female friends.
However, I am aware of the 'anti-women' sentiment present in many men ... and I think it has its roots in this process of maternal rejection.
I also suspect the process has something to do with the tipping of some men into homosexuality tho' many would be so inclined in any case.
I am not gay ... tho' I have been frequently suspected of it all my life by both men and women.

Need? No. Desire? Yes (intimately, intellectually, emotionally).

It may be true of a lot of men, but I think there are probably so many exceptions that this has to be considered a massive over-generalization. I count myself among the exceptions.

I'm familiar with the sentiment, but I don't feel any resentment. In my mind, the denial of the need for women isn't very far removed from the "girls have cooties" stage of pre-teen years. While men can do what women can't, women can do many things that men cannot.

I'll answer this in two ways. The first is from a personal perspective. The second is from a societal perspective.

Personally I disagree with Hitchens. I am not disgusted by needing a woman. I think men and women are two halves of a puzzle. We need each other in many ways. Procreation and parenting are just two of many ways we complement each other.

On a societal level I have observed an existential tension that exists between men and women. Hitchens' explanation is just one of many that I have heard from both genders on this issue. I'm not sure about the cause. For example how many times have you heard "Men:You can't live with them and you can't live without them" or "Women:You can't live with them and you can't live without them". Maybe it is simply because we think differently.

Here are some links that provide evidence of how the genders think differently.

[scientificamerican.com]

[stanmed.stanford.edu]

[newsroom.ucla.edu]

@VictoriaNotes Thanks for pointing that out. Yes I read the article before posting the others. My intent was to establish the information processing differences between the sexes. I never meant to imply that we are more different than similar. I've never found a credible study that tries to quantify how different we are. Some of the comments on this post support my assertion that there is existential tension between the genders on a societal level. Fascinating topic!

@VictoriaNotes Regarding Hitchens' comment, I do agree that he was speaking allegorically about a historical, patriarchal paradox. I think you stated it better than he did. The word resent captures the sentiment better than the word disgust. The existential tension I alluded to may be rooted in resentment or perhaps a combination of old resentments combined with cerebral differences. And with a credit to you I will add the words cultural influences.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.