Agnostic.com

6 10

LINK Opinion: There Is No 'Get Tough' With Coronavirus; We Need A New Slogan : NPR

I'm thinking that the stirring up of anti-shutdown activity (which is not a surprising development to me) prudently means at least another two months isolation. I'm okay with that thanks to my privilege of nowhere to go or obligations too meet. So long as I can grocery shop, stay in weed, and delight in a pizza, or Jack combo meal, once in a while I'm golden. COVID will either cause a great deal of death or something will go well and Goldfinger relieved from the hot-seat. The (mis)administration is, of course, betting on the latter and stalling for time (which always gets the last word). Neither side actually knows (though I sometimes pretend that I do for the sake of entertaining self-flattery).

What significance this stamp of time does hold for me is in my practice of Zen. Like most males I am not naturally inclined toward patience. Meditation has taught me how to be still but the road has taught me patience. So far, life has taught me that it always goes on (even when I haven't wanted it to) so patience is a discipline worth developing. When I slip, get impatient, then I'm reminded of its importance. When aware that I've slipped I have a quick (or longer) meditation and return into the now. My focus changes to something interesting or the view and I feel calmer. I begin to find humor in the big doings of society and the anxiety fades.

Our political problems will be decided by COVID's effects. Nothing else. Tribalism has US locked inside our houses and only a change in population will tear down the wall. We'll see how much effect grief and horror bring to our population's adjustment. History shows those two things determine our nation's course. Nothing else.

Therefore I urge you all to appreciate each moment and live it for your enjoyment. Enjoy having been given the opportunity to enjoy it. Until patience gives way to cautious anticipation a personal sense of enjoyment is really all that matters. To care about an economy one needs faith in a future that holds value. Add Climate Change to COVID and my faith is not high.

rainmanjr 8 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

'The wise live, the fools die'

Everyone dies sooner or later. The virus doesn't care about IQ, of course, so we're just playing Russian Roulette for this event. There are more events coming.

@rainmanjr Meaning; those that follow the protocols will live.

@Atheist3 They'll have a better chance of living but it's not assured. We still have to buy food so that means going out into air. Odd that everyone demands to get outside when the virus is transported through the air but USA has never made a lick of sense.

Thank you for bringing up he population issue. Too many are turned off on this as it's too much doom and gloom. Unfortunately, ignoring it will not make it go away. Ignoring it will only make things worse. Need proof, just look around!!!

Bottom line is that the virus will tell us what to do because we cannot tell the virus. Trump and others should take notice of this. Nobody gives a damn about you. It's all about the dollar.

As social as we are, I still believe we humans are not compatible with the "worker bee" model of industrialization. I mean, we do it because we've let ourselves be herded into this credit based economy where we're essentially indentured servants in a life of revolving debt with never enough resources to break out. But I don't think it's our natural state and the problems it causes are clear.
It's not that I feel superior or anything, but as I sit back and observe the pandemic/political/religious happenings and how people act, I feel some pride in being able to remain calm, contine my education on the science of it all and find humour where I can (which is often, because we're a ridiculous race).
Your quote, which I'm quoting! Is indeed golden and my philosophy exactly:
"So long as I can grocery shop, stay in weed, and delight in a pizza, ......I'm golden."

I haven't cared about this economy since it stopped caring about me. Personally, I'd like to see it all come down again. We won't get real change in our lifetime unless they are forced to change. The future Pandemic worry may possibly see us bring back at least a small portion of a manufacturing sector. But I fear it won't be enough and possibly we will get nothing if Chump returns for another 4. Cuomo pointed this out in a couple of his daily briefings, but he's a stooge too so he doesn't get specific and he doesn't say it clearly. But I will hand it to him that he is acting like a responsible leader. I can still pick him apart, but I can pick every politician apart, as we all should do. Because the second you pat them on the back and say "Good Job!", that's when their hand goes straight into your pocket.

Absolutely. You've learned your lessons well, Grasshopper.

The number do not add up!!!

Especially when you count every death as a COVIN19 death!!!

What numbers do you think we can trust? And what should we do about it?

Not sure if I care if we have 10 deaths or a hundred thousand. For anyone to die from a virus when we should be advanced in science and medicine is a rather insane outcome. We have the knowledge. Yet we still ignore it. We know why but are helpless at inturupting the blatant obstruction. So....we lose. 🥺

@Observer-Effect I trust the numbers that I get daily from media in other countries all over the world. They seem to be telling the same story worldwide. I cannot let American politics dictate how I think about these pandemic times.

@SukiSue Religion/superstitions have held us back hard. Sagan called it 25 years ago:

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark - 1995

@SukiSue
Yup, I think we've known about this danger for 20 years, now. Started preparing late though, in the 00's and undid what little we had prepared for just before this hit. There's no him or her, only WE who elected all of the people responsible for our safety and yet all they do is put us in harm's way. Don't see how we can do anything but lose...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:486678
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.