Agnostic.com

8 14

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies- delicious!

Have been longing for a moist, dark chocolate cookie. Last Christmas, I made Chocolate Peppermint cookies for my daughter and her husband. A huge hit.

I plan to freeze the cookies and force myself to eat just one a day.

Last night, I mixed cookie dough and chilled it overnight. Before hiking this morning, I baked the cookies. Easy. Packed one cookie for lunch on the trail. A vegan, Karen does not eat eggs or butter.

Today Karen and I hiked 11.7 miles with over 3,000 feet of elevation gain (and loss). Was more tired after the hike than I thought. Left my camera in Karen's car. Oops. Tomorrow I will post about today's hike with pictures after I get my camera back.

Meanwhile, here's the recipe.

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Makes about 25 cookies.

Ingredients

½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (to taste)
1 cup all-purpose flour (spoon and leveled)
½ cup unsweetened natural cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup regular or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the sugars and beat on medium-high speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in egg, vanilla and peppermint extract on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together until well combined.

3. On low speed, mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick. Beat in chocolate chips on high speed.

4. Chilling the dough is mandatory for three hours or up to three days. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. I chill it overnight.

5. Remove cookie dough from refrigerator. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. If cookie dough is chilled for longer than 3 hours, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. This makes the cookie dough easier to scoop and roll.

6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop and roll balls of dough- about 1.5 tablespoons of dough each- into balls and places 2” apart on cookie sheet. Balls should be about 1-1/4” in diameter.

7. Flatten balls initially with your hand. With a spatula, flatten balls evenly to ¼” thick.

8. Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes. The baked cookies will look extremely soft in the centers when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cook 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. They will slightly deflate as you let them cool. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For better or worse , I happen to have all these ingredients on hand ...

T'would be a whole bunch of cookies - and me !

love your mouth watering creations and I love peppermint

Yet another one of your no-doubt wonderful creations I would consume but only on the rarest of occasions. Low-carb me........sigh.

@MissKathleen hanks. My grandfather (in the first cohort at the Mayo Clinic to receive insulin, saved his life) and father were diabetics. And drank too much. I am neither. What you eat matters, especially as you age. I am 65 and fortunately, take no medicine for anything.

@Mitch07102

I plan to freeze the cookies and force myself to only eat one a day.

@LiterateHiker That's hard for me to do. I'm wired such that I would rather eat nothing (I often fast) than limit something. Hence, keep it out of the house. I have no pasta, rice, bread, flour, or sugar in my house. No industrial oils, no canned food of any kind.

I’ll have to add these to my recipe book!

Okay, you win, I'm going to knock up some of my beer flavoured damper ( Aussie Bushman's bread) mix, get a nice lot of hot coals ready and bake it.
While its baking, I'll get the billy on, make a nice cup of hot bush style coffee and then sit back with my hot damper lathered with butter and Golden syrup and munch away for a while.

Yummmm, stop it you're making me hungry and my mouth is watering.

Yes, I have this same problem with everything she makes. I use to worry about the ten pounds I would gain every post, but now it is hard to care.

@dalefvictor I've given up worring about my weight, I leave that up to my G.P. instead....LOL.

Look yummy! 😋

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:488412
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.