Agnostic.com

3 8

Who is speaking

HippieChick58 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Which is why cartoonists originally used the bubble... 😁

lerlo Level 8 Apr 25, 2020

I think we’re turning Japanese … I really think so 😉

Varn Level 8 Apr 25, 2020

They will stereotype and know she’s talking.

It is the stereotype that men talk more, studies have shown it is actually men who dominate conversations. [insidehighered.com]

@HippieChick58 Studies of what kind of conversations? Of large groups such as business meetings, or of smaller groups such as among personal friends?

@yvilletom The study I posted discussed mostly business meeting. I've seen similar studies about classrooms. Last date I had I mostly listened while this dude expounded on his military career. Long drawn out stories, granted he did have a interesting career, however, he didn't care too much to hear about my life. I think the myth that women speak more than me is just that, a myth, a damn stereotype, and wrong. I think it is old thinking from the patriarchy.

@HippieChick58 Not taking part in conversations has a history in my family. Ancestors, serfs in feudal Germany, were told that if they were talking they were not working. When I was young a mealtime conversation was “Please pass the xxxxx” and “Thank you”, My mother literally said nothing about her early years. My father said almost nothing about his. One college date, circa 1953, talked from when she entered my car to when she left it. I married a woman who seldom spoke. Six years and no noisy arguments later, in divorce counseling I learned the reason.
In 1970 I joined Toastmasters and now, in humor, say I haven’t stopped talking since. Retired, I don’t allow people to filibuster me. I use questions to break into monologues and sometimes answer my questions.

@yvilletom My mom was just a few years older than you, her parents came to the US from Germany about the 1880s, I think. We had a great deal more chatter at our table, not that it was all uplifting by any means. Talking is a way to cover nerves, establish dominance, and so many other uses besides transferring information.

@HippieChick58 Assertiveness — which in a midlife college course consisted of being able to say what I like, what I don’t like, and sometimes “Stop” — helped me enormously.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:488847
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.