Agnostic.com

11 2

Has your life changed since losing religion?

I would like to know how you may live differently since moving on from religion. How has the quality of your life changed?

btroje 9 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On of the good things about religion was the community. Loved the Potluck dinner at the church once a month. Plenty of good food. Did like to sing some of the hymns, but not the ones about the blood of the lamb. As I didn't buy the whole "god" thing, not much to keep me there. Have done a lot of exploration into what do I actually believe, and am real happy with where I am. Like being free to find what brings truth and meaning to me. Did find the community I wanted in a UU church that is full of atheist, humanists, etc. Also have a large family with is very supportive.

I am more at peace with myself as this feels much more authentic. I'm more active at creating (or trying to create) the life I want rather than passively hoping / praying for change. I'm also often feel more insecure in my relationships as I no longer have those ready-made relationships that come with being in a religious community. (Being single for the first time in 28 years doesn't help that either.)

P.S. - nice to see someone else from New Mexico on here!

red or green?

Green, definitely!

Guess it is all about the peppers? Loved the New Mexico (Sandia) green chilies best when lived in New Mexico. Up here in our garden grew some Anaheim chilies, jalapenos, Cayenne, habaneros, and thai-hots this year. Go my taste for them when living there.

I do not live in fear that some god knows my every thought. I am happy knowing that I do not want to live for ever because i'd probably lose my mind in less than another one hundred years. In short, I'm a very happy person who is not bothered with guilt from religious teachings.

I never had religion in the first place. I was force-fed Protestant Christianity from the earliest age, but never bought any of it. I grew up during the space race, and I remember speculating out loud to my parents about the possibility of life on other planets. "Don't be ridiculous!" was the reply. Yet, I thought to myself, I'm supposed to believe in arks and people who get swallowed by whales and survive and immaculate conceptions. I never once thought religion was anything but complete BS, and church and Sunday School were merely boring times to be suffered through.

Yes - it's as though a huge anchor - or was it a cross? - was lifted from my back.
But that was a long time ago. I now can't believe I ever believed such nonsense!

It gives me the freedom to explore thoughts and actions which religion discourages.

Although I was very open-minded as a Christian, I feel like I've really changed my way of thinking since I deconverted. I'm not afraid of hell anymore, I'm not worried about pleasing any god, and since I know my own life is very temporary and there's no heaven or hell to get to once it's over, I can see that my time here is precious.

Mochi Level 2 Nov 23, 2017

Quality life improved immediately, exponentially

Marz Level 7 Nov 23, 2017

can you describe what made that difference to you/

Its amazing how clear my head is now. I Show respect for people and i listen to what people have to say. Its not complicated now. A lot of fear has been removed. Its pretty cool.

what makes it easier for you to listen to people now?

Im at peace with myself. After all the studying I've done. i feel they have a right to thier opinion. And i have a choice to agree or not agree. I have a choice to walk away. I can make a statement and they have all the same rights i have. I chose to educate myself and understand certain actions and reactions. Hmmm... ive been clobbered on this forum. Sometimes people have other things on thier mind when they answer your post or comments. I mean i try to explain but they heard it differentially from what i said. Sometimes im thinking an answer and put it in the forum comments wrong. Hmmm... i listen. Its easy... if they are on this forum, they're evolving and they have statements they need to say... i listen...

No. I never had religion to begin with.

It is much richer and fulfilling in every sense.

what makes it more richer and fulfilling?

Not having to tithe 10% helps 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4889
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.