Agnostic.com

3 1

When your perspective is based upon logic and facts, proof would be a requirement for any conversation. Unless of course we are just expressing our personal opinions without a shred of evidence and those would have no real value to anyone but oneself.
Why are we still having this discussion with these people, there is no proof of any gods existing anywhere but in the minds of people.

Surfpirate 9 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's lots of circumstantial evidence extranormal/supernatural phenomenon exists.
No evidence for an Abrahamic personal 'god,' however.

No facts mean it is not a debate. There are set rules for debates and feelings are not allowed.

So no feelings and no facts? Those are your rules?

@Surfpirate I guess my wording could be confusing. If there are no facts there is no debate.

@JackPedigo Have you ever tried to debate a religitard? They bring no facts to the discussion, just the bible.

@Surfpirate I remember once a woman at work. I could not go toe-to toe with her verbally (introvertedness) but could wipe the floor with her with writing. I had forgotten this time until your question.

Opinions are of value though.

Opinions that can be backed up with actual facts are of value. Trump is of the opinion that people should drink bleach and stick a flashlight up their ass, it's just his opinion, no facts to back it up.

@Surfpirate Opinions aren't always provable. People disagree and all the facts are not always on the same side. And I'm not talking about anything specific like Trump telling people to drink bleach.

@barjoe Opinions are just that, facts are facts and that is the acid test. I do think that everyone is entitled to their opinions, even when it comes to drinking bleach, that doesn't make it a cure for COVID.

@barjoe There are legitimate words for opinions that cannot be backed up with facts
They are in no particular order
Superstitions
Religions
& Lies

@LenHazell53 There are opinions that don't fall into those there categories. For example, I disagree with you on this, but not out of superstition, faith, lack of truth or factual evidence. Certainly not out of religious fervor.

@barjoe then produce the proof, don't just make an assertion.

@LenHazell53 That would mean I think this is worth arguing. Sometimes we don't have all the facts. Does that mean we can't form opinions? Some people just like to argue, demanding proof. That's just my opinion. I don't have to produce proof to disagree with you. It's not worth arguing. I'll let you have the last word if it makes you happy.

@barjoe
Oh dear, I will try this one more time.
It is quite simple, an opinion is a belief, a belief without evidence is a superstition, an act of faith or a lie stemming from stubbornness, misinformation or deceit.
There is no opinion that that can be logically held without verification, unless there is the intent to promote one of the above.
When you say "Sometimes we don't have all the facts. Does that mean we can't form opinions? " the answer is a resounding NO you cannot form an opinion, under such circumstances, what you can do is "Speculate" a speculation is not an opinion, it is the beginnings of an hypothesis, for that idea or speculation to progress evidence, testing and attempts at falsification MUST follow, or else you are demanding a leap of faith, and faith by it's very nature is an act of superstition, religion or a lie.

[: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter]
If you're talking about a legal opinion, they are based on precedent
A medical opinion is based on clinical evidence not proven facts
I'll let you get the last word on this if it makes you happy

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:489090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.