Agnostic.com

3 1

So let's talk Nihilism. There are many forms of nihilism, examples like: life is meaningless, morality does not exist, and in some extreme cases, we do not exist. In nihilism it is recognized that nothing can be proven due to the possibility of a grand deciever, the matrix, if you will. That's not to say we are in the matrix beyond a doubt, but it is a possibility. Therefore everything we perceive may or may not be real, therefore every we "know" to be fact is just an assumption.

Tyleranasuarus 3 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So are you saying, "Go ahead and have that second piece of pie"?

I think we should just go ahead and assume that science, physics, etc is real. If it is not real then it is likely far beyond our ability to discern the truth, so, for all intents and purposes, our reality is real to us even if it is a computer generated program, since we would not be able to exist outside of the program.

But, our personal realities are defined and limited by our minds and our senses. The only thing I can truly and absolutely be sure about is that I exist. The rest of the universe might just be a figment of my imagination.

Life is meaningless if you say it is. You define your own meaning to life. The meaning of your life may be to discover the cure for cancer or invent a technology that changes the world or simply to get married and have a content and rewarding life.

Morality does exist simply because we as a society decide that it exists. Morality changes over time and varies a bit from person to person but generally the vast majority of people would agree that murder is wrong, war is bad, kicking a puppy is mean, etc.

It's certainly not a productive philosophy. I prefer to assume what I perceive to be true as well. However, when it comes to science I find it requires almost as much faith as religion. Just because someone says something is proven by science doesn't mean it really is. So I'm limited to my own personal understanding of science.

I don't like the concept of "personal realities". I'm a "One truth" kind of guy in which we all share a single reality. That whole "reality is perception" thing is garbage. If reality was perception then there couldn't be deception. The fact that we can perceive things incorrectly proves there is a difference between reality and perception.

You do make a good point, people find their own purpose. I find it liberating to think I wasn't born with purpose, therefore am free to make life my own. Even choosing a purpose is limiting. Why have a single purpose? Why have any? Just do.

Morality is an opinion. Just like beauty, it exists because we say it does, and opinions of beauty vary. However, an opinion holds no merit until enforced by action. What good is a moral code no one enforces? What good is it to find someone beautiful but never tell them?

Here’s a different take on nihilism than most people are familiar with. I find it expresses my worldview quite beautifully.

That describes my personal views perfectly. Thank you for sharing that.

I strongly advise subscribing to the channel. They create amazing content!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4899
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.