Agnostic.com

9 4

Do you find this confusing?

MissKathleen 9 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no not at all

Not the only confusing place. Question. Where can you walk south for a mile, walk east for a mile, walk north for a mile and then end up back where you started?

And if you have an easy answer, then remember there are two answers to this question, so what is the other one ?.

No!!!

Everything is north from the center of Antarctica!!!

That's the south pole, but why does no one ever talk about the east and west poles? I bet most people can't even find them on a map.

that's because there is no such thing , there is the equator where all arbitrary points are at a 90 degee angle to the poles at all time.
To have a fixed east and west pole the earth would have to stop rotating, or start rotating on an axis perpendicular to the one it uses now.

@LenHazell53 Nope. It's a conspiracy by Big South Pole to hide the truth about the east and west poles. True fact. 😀

Everything is north from the pole

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 27, 2020

No, because from north to "also north" is east, and north to "other north" is west.

Directions on any island can be confusing, and sometimes the usual directions change as you further drive down the road. Here on my small island, you can drive toward this town or that, and the direction you turn off the highway is either mauka (toward the mountains) or makai (toward the ocean) and that about covers it for us.

Not at all confusing. From the perspective of being at the South Pole any direction you travel is in a northerly direction.

Is the center the south pole?

@Cutiebeauty there are two, the geographic pole and magnetic pole, same as at the north pole.

@LenHazell53 so, which one is this?

@Cutiebeauty hard to tell, they are only 2 and a bit miles apart

@LenHazell53 but both in Antarctica?

@Cutiebeauty yes the famous Scott expedition all died trying to get there and back, only to find they had been beaten by Amundsen

@LenHazell53 ah.. At first I wasn't sure, but then I thought of it as a riddle.. How can the circumstances be all equal and I though the center must be the opposite 😊

@Cutiebeauty
The Second Coming (1st stanza) by WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

@LenHazell53 Yikes! That must have been a really awful vacation. I'm scratching that place off my vacation plans for next year.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:489928
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.