Agnostic.com

5 11

Today's hike: Great view, but not my milieu.

Today Karen and I hiked a big loop and climbed Beehive Mountain, totaling eight miles with 3,000 feet of elevation gain. The area is laced with rough gravel roads and fisherman trails.

For the past 35 years, I avoided hiking in the Beehive Reservoir area because it is popular with littering fisherman, dirt bikers and gun nuts, aka rednecks. But with Forest Service and state park trails closed, places to hike have been severely limited.

We felt disgusted by the viewpoint people can drive to: trashed with beer cans, cardboard, gun cartridges, food wrappers, broken glass, etc.

"By throwing trash out, they are like animals marking their territory," Greg, a hiker we met on the trail, said. A retired teacher, he spends hours cleaning up litter each week. "You should see the trash left by men who shoot on No. 2 Canyon Road," he said. "I cleaned it all up: 23 big bags of trash! The next day, it was the same mess. I gave up. They are not sportsmen."

"We are kindred spirits," Greg said when we parted. I pick up litter everywhere I go.

GUNSHOTS

Karen and I relaxed eating lunch beside a gravel road. Gunshots rang out. Someone was shooting an automatic gun! Alarmed, we scrambled uphill to get away from the shooter. A guy roared by in a truck and started shooting above us. We scrambled downhill. I would never confront a shooter. He's armed.

To get away, we hiked a big loop around Beehive Mountain, then up to the summit. Great views.

I'm glad Forest Service trails will be open again next week!

Photos:

1. Mt. Stuart and the Enchantments, 30 aerial miles away.

2. We watched trout jumping in Upper Beehive Reservoir.

3. A charming patch of yellow Glacier Lilies.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful pictures. Watch those stereotypes. There are nuts of every flavor and in every belief. Bad behavior occurs regardless of whether one carries a gun or a walking stick.

@beenthere

February 28, 2018

Five gunshots. On a recent morning, Karen, Sue and I were hiking up Tibbetts Mountain above Cashmere. We panicked at gunshots above us. Were they shooting at us? Shooting over our heads?

"HEY!" we yelled. "STOP SHOOTING!" I loudly blew my whistle. We halted, anxiously listening and scanning for the shooters. On the hillside above, Karen spotted two men with a white dog. Another gunshot blast, this time on the far side of the hill.

Sue called 911. A Chelan County Deputy called back. He said it was legal to shoot guns in Hay Canyon, but not if they were shooting at us, or over our heads. "Hay Canyon is known for shooting," the deputy said.

I wanted to turn around. Sue and Karen felt it was okay to keep going. "They are heading away from us," Karen said. I felt terrified. We continued hiking, constantly scanning the hillside for men with guns. Turning, we headed away from the shooters and up a different ridge.

We ran into the shooters at the trailhead. They were two dirty young guys who looked like extras in "Deliverance" movie. "We were shooting at branches, aiming at tips for practice," one guy explained. "We didn't know that," I replied. "It was terrifying. Did you hear us yelling?" They did.

I told my hiking partners I don't want to hike in Hay Canyon anymore. Each time, we have been frightened by gunshots and men jumping out of trucks waving guns.

To warn other hikers, I posted this trip report on Washington Trails Association website. Also, I sent a letter to the Cashmere Chamber of Commerce.

We are living in a country where guns have completely gotten out of hand.

@LiterateHiker Thank you for sharing your perspective. Though, I don't share your opinion re: guns completely gotten out of hand, I don't think any less of you for your opinion. Our experiences have just been different. Hand in hand with owning a gun goes the need to learn how to use and the need to practice using it safely and proficiently. Are there no public firearm or archery ranges near your area of Washington? Perhaps, if there were such a place freely available, you would not feel so encroached upon.

Beautiful pics and another great hike for you,,They should have a regulation if you are caught littering,even in the form of a pic handed in there is $5000. fine plus you must spend two 40 hour weeks picking up trash,that would put an end to most of it

Great pictures! Sorry to hear about the trash and gun shots that upset your enjoyment of the beauty of nature.

@BudFrank

Thank you.

so pretty, as always !

It never ceases to amaze the rest of the world what you tolerate from your gun nuts. 😒

@Cyklone

I was asked to be the local coordinator for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. I declined. Our opponents are angry and armed. I'm afraid I'd get shot and killed at a rally.

@LiterateHiker Only in America.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:490324
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.