Agnostic.com

1 0

Ford and Lincoln cancel Rivian-powered electric vehicle due to the pandemic
13 comments

But Lincoln is still working on an ‘alternative vehicle’ based on Rivian’s tech

[theverge.com]

FearlessFly 9 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Electric vehicles are not affordable or practical. Pass the Right to Repair act and people will buy them. The price of oil destroys incentives for renewable energy. China had gone to an electric fleet that has destroyed demand for oil worldwide. They will control e-car market forever. That will happen within 10 years.

Some Tesla models are about the price I paid for my (I'm still driving it) 1998 Toyota 4Runner.

[caranddriver.com]

And they actually promote DIY repair :

[tesla.com]

@FearlessFly Trade in your 4Runner then. Those are not repairs on that schedule you posted. Tesla forces their customers to go to their dealer for repairs that aren't in warranty or they won't support your vehicle. That blocks your vehicle from using Superchargers and void your warranty for covered repairs. Elon Musk is a douche. [bit.ly]

@barjoe I don't/won't click on any link that I can't hover and know its' destination.

Since my 4Runner was 'totalled' (for insurance) and I did all the repairs myself, I have never had any intention of divesting myself of it since I bought it 5/98.

@barjoe I have also seen YT videos with detailed instructions how to modify most/all Tesla OS software.

@FearlessFly Good thing you didn't have a Tesla. You wouldn't have had that option. I use Bitly. Twitter habit. [reddit.com]

@FearlessFly couldn't hover over your links either btw on this site

@FearlessFly You would be noncomplient according to Tesla. That what Right to Repair Act is all about. Not just Tesla. John Deere had forced farmers to shut down because of computer gliches. Check out "Rich Rebuilds" on YouTube. The guy rebuilds salvage Teslas. They're suing him.

@barjoe "according to Tesla" -- I don't see how that would be different from any-other auto Co. I also don't see why any RtoR legislation (or discussion) should be limited to cars or farm machinery.

@FearlessFly I would agree with you on that. A lot of people don't know about Right to Repair. It's a burning issue.

@FearlessFly Other auto companies you can buy aftermarket parts, you can get scanners and do you own repairs or take to any shop. Tesla you can't. John Deere has proprietary encrypted software and forbids aftermarket. It shouldn't be different but it is.

@barjoe I have been running Linux since the 90s. Can you name any Apple/Microsoft software or hardware that any consumer has a RtoR ? Have you heard of CSS (CDs,DVDs) ? There is not-much/nothing JD is doing that is ubiquitous most-everywhere that isn't open-source/FSF.

@barjoe I would say that because most RtoR legislation hasn't gotten very far yet is BECAUSE it is NOT (yet) a "burning issue". 😛

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:490366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.