Agnostic.com

7 0

What is the US take on this?
Low paid, hourly workers, obliged to stand close together without any protective equipment in US meat packing plants in various states.

[bbc.com]

Petter 9 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Vegan most days so don't have a dog in this fight. Making them work in these conditions does seem subhuman which is why Donnie's behind it.

The US take varies depending on where each person is economically.

I personally think that it is foolish not to provide personal protective equipment for anyone working in the public or in our food chain. Like another poster said, the virus knows no boundaries and the more people who are able to avoid it the less it spreads.

Strong Unions! It is All they have!

I read that packing plants in Spain are open.

Packing house workers in the US earn about $15/hr, not much different than Spain. In the U.K. they earn much less.

[payscale.com]

Nasty practice for profit, spending more on protection for workers will help they are doing it here. Mid west doesn't do that which is the reason for some of this profit before workers, trumpers abound there. The poultry producers here are at least trying, ppe equipment and panels to separate workers

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 29, 2020

We have to eat.

@Omnedon True, but I think it is in our long-term interest to keep the meat industry functioning.

@Omnedon I seriously doubt that the meat industry will go away. A huge percentage of the globe is suitable only for forest or for grazing. I guess we’ll find out if we live long enough.

@Omnedon So-called factory farming can be done with pigs and chickens. Cattle are raised out on pastures, being penned up and fattened for only a short time prior to slaughter, and even that is not universally practiced.

There are a lot of poultry houses around where I live. You are right. It is an unsavory business. I’ve never met a poultry farmer who liked that operation.

I think it is abhorrent! Meat packing plants are torture for workers. You can't take breaks as needed, you're covered in crap, and the animals suffer before they die. Good reasons to be a vegetarian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:490454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.