Agnostic.com

11 7

How are you finding happiness during the pandemic?

Like many of you, I have experienced anxiety, sadness, despair and worry during this pandemic. It feels our world has changed, possibly forever.

To deal with my feelings, I have been hiking, sewing masks, reading, gardening, cooking and doing jigsaw puzzles. Talking with friends and my daughter on the phone.

Through emails and text, I help and encourage the girl I'm mentoring this year. Daniela has applied for 40 scholarships so far. She completed the last five scholarship applications while stuck at home with three rowdy, loud siblings ages 6, 11 and 14. Bravo, Daniela!

A study published in NeuroScience in 2012 concluded about 50 percent of higher life satisfaction comes from genetics. Happy babies are easier to relate to and evoke more loving responses. Of course there are other factors.

Having self-acceptance while treating others with compassion leads to a happier life.

Michael J. Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at age 29 and brought worldwide attention to the disease. He has succeeded despite the disease. He said, "My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance and inversely to expectations."

In other words, he accepted his condition and went on with his life.

Viktor Frankl survived horrific condition in a WWII Nazi concentration camp. He later wrote Man's Search for Meaning. His book described brief moments of love and caring even in the worst of circumstances.

Despite the uncertainty, I know that somehow most of us will survive and will never forget.

I try to stay positive, help others and remember happy times. What works for you?

LiterateHiker 9 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am surviving,being and introvert and living alone not much change,semi retired , getting items done around the house and out side but not a lot of ambition to do a lot quickly,,doing a bit of walking and short hikes , Weather has started getting warmer so will be more energetic to do things, Miss going out to my local coffee shop sitting with my morning coffee group and our conversations ,but have rounded up some masks for some seniors that i sent away from friends who were making them..Lawn and garden work to keep me busy over the next couple of weeks and of course the never ending house work,really miss meeting with family and friends for our super meets..I had a lot of travelling planned for this year but all of that is out the window ,at least i flew out to Victoria for the month of January to be with a friend..WE will get thru it one day at a time

I have my telescopes and a few close friends, that'll do it for me.

Lots of ways! I am enjoying not having to spend my precious time doing the bidding of others, but getting to do what I WANT to be doing. So, I am getting plenty of sleep, cooking healthy meals from scratch, getting out everyday to tend my yard and garden, making leisurely phone calls/texts with more distant family and friends, reading good books, buying and playing new games... I am not suffering from lockdown much at all. (:

Zster Level 8 May 3, 2020

I am like some of the other commenters in that I am.....more of the same, not really much impacted. I already work from home, and live with myself. While quite social and able to get on with just about anyone, I am very much an introvert in that I draw energy from internal, me, rather than others or external happenings. I'm just wired that way, and have been as far back as I can remember. I am fortunate that my job isn't yet impacted and if anything I'm as busy as ever.

It also helps that I take the Stoic's approach to life. For example, my daughters live in the epicenter: Manhattan. I of course worry about them, but I have no control over what might happen. I do have control over how I choose to react.

For relaxation I read, watch my share of YouTube (I don't have cable), and exercise. While I do miss the gym, I have a couple of kettle bells and make the time to exercise. I also make sure, every day, to actively do nothing.

Being one of life's 'loners' I'm not finding the lockdown very different from usual.
I miss my morning coffee & a muffin at the cafe, & physical contact with my family, but that's about all.

Very true. and I hope you keep well. Though sadly I have to say that I am not so certain about the long term outcome as you, people do forget and fast, old habits, especially the bad ones, have a strong pull.

But I love the line.
"Having self-acceptance while treating others with compassion leads to a happier life. "
I think that I will quote that on the quotes group page.

@Fernapple

Thank you, dear. Glad that insight resonated with you.

I'm actually giving myself a break, after the necessary worrying about financials and making sure all my loved ones are healthy. I'm able to to take walks, bike rides and leisurely swims in the ocean. Today I took a long walk on the beach and then a dip in the bay.

Very seldom was I able to take a beach day when I was working. So glad to be healthy, after being so sick earlier in the year, that I'm making sure I'm enjoying every minute. The self isolation isn't anything all that new to me, and I'm lucky to have a few walking partners for socialization.

I'm not all that worried about how this pandemic is going to end up for me where I live. I have complete faith that our mayor will open up our economy in stages and we will be happier and healthier for it. I'm fairly sure I'll be back to working in 6 weeks or more, so I'm taking this time to really enjoy every minute, before I get busy again.

This forced break is practice for retirement, haha! I think I'll be very good at it!

Things are not much different for me, mostly because I am retired and living in a secluded place. I feel no sadness, despair or worry. My time is spent in meditation, walking in the woods, working in the garden and in the workshop. I also read and play sudoku, solitaire, hearts etc. and listen to music on my iPhone.

Everyone I know is taking the epidemic in stride, so I’m not worried on their behalf. I am concerned for the many families that suddenly have no income, and for the state of the economy.

I really do think that this Coronavirus is being vastly overplayed. Compared to epidemics of history this is nothing. It is certain that we will move through this event successfully and will soon return to our normal lives.

I communicate with others almost non-stop. I'm reading a lot. I'm creating mental exercises for myself, trying to counter the negative habits that make me so repulsive to other people.

I like to imagine having someone to hug, hold, embrace. In the "next" life - life after the pandemic.

Volunteer for the state on corona virus

Good for you. I am volunteering and can still do things even during the pandemic

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.