Agnostic.com

10 12

Brush fires burning up Hay Canyon, WA. Wildfire season starts early.

From the kitchen window, I see thick black smoke billowing and climbing the sky to the north, 10 miles away. Howling winds. Helicopters are dumping huge buckets of water in the steep terrain.

Helicopters fly back-and forth, filling buckets in the Columbia River. Great photos in the Wenatchee World article. Click on the link below.

I have hiked up Hay Canyon and Tibbets Mountain many times. But gunshots by reckless jackasses ruined area for me.

My guess is the fires started from discarded cigarette butts. Did gunmen spark the fires with bullets striking rocks? Dirt bikers with no required spark arrester? I am so tired of rednecks.

Ninety percent of wildfires are human-caused.

[wenatcheeworld.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

*Update Today😘

Firefighters are in mop-up mode. Amazingly, they controlled the fire in extremely high winds (50 mph). They dug a trench around the flames.

This is a pretty good map. Its not 100% accurate but its close. [inciweb.nwcg.gov]

We even had a small forest fire in the Adirondacks.

They had a lot of wildfires in San Diego county I remember growing up,they have an airtanker base in Ramona, ca, where I grew up, they flew those classic world war two bombers to put the fire out, those airtankers with knock them down real quick, nice pictures of the mountains.

Loved the 3 pics ,2nd one breath taking views and of course the first pic you really make it stand out 🙂 3 deer nice touch also to see.. Bummer about the fires,certainly does not take long for the bush to dry out ready for fires.Enjoy

Nature at work. Humans shouldn't build in areas they aren't equipped for.

@rainmanjr

Ninety percent of wildfires are started by humans. This is not "nature at work." The fires started a mile up Hay Canyon where there are no houses.

@LiterateHiker Then don't worry about them. Fire makes trees stronger. Have you ever seen a Redwood? Fire made them possible.

@rainmanjr

You couldn't be more wrong. Redwoods grow in northern California on the Pacific Ocean coast, a moist micro-climate.

Due to the climate crisis, massive wildfires burn throughout Western states every year. The ground is stripped of growth, covered in ash. Billions of trees, bushes, grass, and animals are incinerated.

We need trees for oxygen.

@LiterateHiker My point wasn't about where they grow. We need The Amazon for oxygen but that aint happening. Earth needs a breather from humans and that's taking place. Go have a good time and don't sweat it.

It is disturbing to hear about the fires, but your photos are amazing. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you. It was St. Patrick's Day. I'm half-Irish. To celebrate, Karen put vivid green moss in my hatband.

Karen's dog, Bonnie, is a great hiker.

I believe that about most fires being human caused. Sigh! If fire season is bad maybe I’ll be back out that way with the Red Cross.
Great pictures (as usual).

I'm just hoping this year we don't get the smoke from every other fire within 1,000 miles.

1of5 Level 8 May 6, 2020

Very sad 😢

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.