Agnostic.com

9 8

What is your favorite Native legend?

How the Wenatchee River Got Its Name - A Wenatchii Indian legend.

Long ago, before people roamed the world, the Moon has a very beautiful daughter. The Sun loved the girl. But the Moon did not want her daughter to have such a fiery suitor.

The Sun wove a bridal robe in all the colors of the rainbow.

The Moon stayed awake for 30 days- day and night- watching over her daughter so the lovers would not steal away. But the Moon grew tired and fell asleep. Her daughter and the Sun soared away in the sky.

The Moon awoke with a shriek! and pursued the lovers. Her daughter fled into the high Cascade Mountains. They say you can hear the Moon daughter's lonesome cries in the wind in the Cascade Mountains at night.

The Sun dropped the robe where it flows in the shape of a river, and sparkles with all the colors of the rainbow when the Sun caresses its folds.

The river is called the Wenatchee River that means, "River of the Rainbow Robe."

The End.

When I moved to Wenatchee WA in 1984, I went to the museum to learn about the area's history. This legend was published in the Wenatchee World newspaper in 1928. Never forgot it.

Photo: Blackbird Island in the Wenatchee River. Leavenworth, WA, 2012.

LiterateHiker 9 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Yauré people of Côte d’Ivoire have a legend I remember. Many years ago the clouds were low, just overhead. If a woman needed some more flavoring for her sauce she could reach up and just pinch off a piece of the cloud for that purpose.

God also lived in those clouds and would come down and converse with people.

One day a woman got into an argument with her husband before he left to go to the fields. All day her anger built up.

When she was making dinner she was pounding the rice in her mortar (see attached photo). Maybe she was imagining the rice was her husband’s head. At any rate, she kept pounding the rice harder and harder.

What she didn’t realize is that the top of the pestle was hitting god, as hard as she was winding up to hit the rice again. God got mad. He left. And he never came back.

Cool story and great pic. Don’t have any favorite Native American legends. I have a favorite African one though.

Forbidden Plateau is an area rich in local history and folklore. The name is derived from a local native legend. Located on the lower slopes of Mount Becher, Forbidden Plateau is better known today as a year round recreation area for biking, hiking, climbing and fishing but, in the history of the Comox First Nations, the Plateau has a much darker side. Slavery amongst the coastal tribes was common at one time and, for the most part, this was carried out by enemies attacking in canoes from the sea. When the Comox where threatened in this way they would send their women and children up to the Plateau for safekeeping. But, on one occasion when they were under attack by the Cowichans, the women and children vanished without a trace and, since then, the Plateau has become taboo for it was believed that it was inhabited by evil spirits who had consumed those they had sent. Hence the name of the area became the Forbidden Plateau.
When I lived in Comox, BC on Vancouver Island I hit a rubbish pit, while digging the foundation of a house, that was filled with the bodies of native slaves from the time before the European Invasion. During the subsequent, archeological dig I made friends with some of the Comox band members and they related this story to me but what they said was that it was the Haida that came with a war party and the Comox band dispatched them all to the last warrior. When they went up to the plateau to bring the elderly, women and children back, they found blood in the snow and the footprints of the Sasquatch or Windego. They sent warriors to track them down, deep into the mountains where the track lead but none returned.

I think their "religion" is more Romantic than the one I grew up in, and less violent. My favorite is this: When the Earth was being formed the great spirit created a widening chasm to separate human beings from the rest of the animal world. At the last moment, the dogs jumped over to stand with the humans.

I have always enjoyed native americans stories. I appreciate that they were handed down verbally for generations. I have always respected their passion for nature and their living outdoors.

Great picture of you, it captures some auburn in your hair.

@Bigwavedave

Thank you.

My father had red hair. My natural hair was chestnut with red and gold.

I love Gilgamesh's legend/epic.
In some Native American lore, just the simple idea that the stars at night are holes punched in the Earth's cover and the Sun is still on the other side just shining through.

Again -- not a legend per se...
But when my father was getting his master's in the 70s, an Apache classmate dropped out of school because the classmate saw an owl outside his window at night -- a harbinger of death. I don't know if my father kept track of him later or not.

Native American religions can be just as debilitating as Christianity or Islam or any other base superstition, if you're unfortunate enough to have been taught to take them seriously. 😐

One has to be careful when trying to understand the traditions of indigenous peoples. If they say spirits are around and not to go somewhere, do not go there. It is hard to understand but there are powers and things happen that one would not think possible. One of the reasons I always talk to crows and ravens.

Not a legend per se, but I recall Joseph Campbell telling the story of a Navajo sand painter who was showing some of his work for a group of anthropologists. One of them realized that he wasn't finishing the paintings and asked him if he would complete just one, for instance, the one he was doing at that moment. Now, sand paintings are magic. So he laughed and replied, "If I finish this painting, in the morning half the women in the county will be pregnant when they wake up."

@Paul4747

I love "The Power of Myth" book by Joseph Campbell.

@LiterateHiker This story may appear there too, but it's definitely in "Transformations of Myth Through Time", which I highly recommend.

I have seen the Navajo Sand Painters do their thing, the paintings are detailed, can be rather large, and they are not finished. Amazing as it can take some time to complete one. Worth the trip if you get an invitation.

Such beautiful legends for your area

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:493766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.