Agnostic.com

4 0

An interesting (not necessarily accurate) perpective

PBuck0145 7 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because children will always choose candy over broccoli.

Lotta ASSumptions.......

He's estabishing certain premises with which I might or might not agree.
I personally think people are a combination of individual and social elements. Very few of us could survive on our own. We depend on each other for not only material substenance, but also emotional, psychological, and 'spiritual' support.
BUT we also need solitude, freedom, and autonomy.
We need Democrats AND (unfortunately) Republicans, ideologically.
We need towns and cities AND to get away to great, wide-open spaces.
So to artificially say we're PRIMARILY one or the other is a fallacy.
We need both.

My 'take' on the video . . .

1. Liberalism is : we are born as individuals, want to be governed by consent
  2. Nationalism is : We are born and socialized as groups and want Nation States

His conclusion why Nationalism will always prevail over Liberalism is :
"we are not fundamentally individuals"

Wow, rarely have I seen such a shining example of the logical fallacy of :

[en.wikipedia.org]

Maybe a good question would be, why are men always trying to come up with absolutist formulas to explain EVERYTHING about human beings--their behavior, attitudes, viewpoints, favorite pie, etc.?
Why can't humans be seen as highly adaptable creatures who can pretty much fill any niche available for survival?
"Hey, you want me to be a Nazi or you'll kill me? No problem!" OR "You want me to be an anti-war peacenik or you'll make me go to Vietnam? I can do that!"
The extent to which we will mold our thoughts to whatever stance is most convenient at the moment, is limitless.
So nationalist or rugged individualist, hey, whatever works!
AND, it goes without saying there's plenty of 'nationalist liberals' and 'individualist conservatives' running around, to say nothing of 'individualist liberals' and 'nationalist conservatives...' maybe more!
(Hey, if someone can call themselves an 'agnostic theist' or a 'atheistic agnostic' they can call themselves anything.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495010
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.