Agnostic.com

7 1

Iā€™m an atheist but was wondering about this question. Is there a scientific method that proves the enormous love I have for my child?

SalC 6 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The scientific explanation would be that evolving to love and protect our children is beneficial for species survival.

JimG Level 8 May 16, 2020

Yes brain scans and endorphins but also genetic with many species

bobwjr Level 10 May 14, 2020

The love of ones child is natural.. It's instinct! Mostly..

Look up studies on altruism between genetically related individuals vs altruism between others. What we call love might just be our hind brain telling us how to keep our genes going.

Good point. Regarding some subjects science simply does not apply.

@Fred_Snerd One thing is the nature of ultimate reality, which is inexplicable and can not be known or described by the human mind.

@Fred_Snerd Ha, first time Iā€™ve seen that clip. Now Iā€™ll know where it came from when people say ā€œ42ā€. šŸ™‚

It is well known and generally accepted that our everyday reality is no more than a work of imaginationā€”an illusion. Behind the illusion is ultimate reality, but we can not detect or understand ultimate reality directly with our space/time/matter model. Physicists do dabble at it with their equations, and provide superficial explanations.

Through conscious awareness we experience something. We must surmise that there is some sort of foundation to reality and that it has something to do with awareness. Beyond that I am totally bewildered.

@Fred_Snerd The idea has been accepted by physicists for a very long time, at least back to the days of Maxwell. It is certainly reflected in the works of Einstein and in quantum physics.

A modern book on physics such as ā€œā€Reality is not What it Seems by Carlos Rovelli drives the point home. One of Rovelliā€™s chapters is entitled ā€œTime Does Not Existā€. Cognitive scientist Donald Hoffman explains our illusion in great detail with his Conscious Realism.

@Fred_Snerd I donā€™t know the percentage. 51% of US scientists believe in God though.

Back to the original topic, science is not useful for many questions.

Why do folks here continue to use the word "prove" ?
(apart from math) Science never proves anything (it can sometimes disprove things), there is ALWAYS doubt/error bars/new ideas. šŸ˜®

Just the fact that you haven't killed it yet.

1of5 Level 8 May 14, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495876
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.